Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help!! overheating..

Dk75018

Reaction score
Members Ride
lumina 3.6 ( Holden VE)
hi, I own a 2007 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 3.6 v6.

Today morning, driving after some 5 miles, it started giving overheat warning. After some inspection i figured out following things..

1. Low coolant.
2. A pipe ( kinda hose pipe -which, seems to be airtight- from radiator to engine was fell open from radiator side). what I understood that it's a pass way for coolant from radiator to engine.. which somehow fell open and all the coolant spilled/drained..

I tried fixing it back and added coolant till instructed level.. yet my car is showing overheating in just 10 minutes ( stationary but A/c on).

Addition to that i noticed that A/c heater too isn't working, it's only blowing cold air .... could all of above be a serious issue or it just needed a cleaning/flushing as whole mechanism was out of liquid for some time and needs time settle with coolant..??

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Having absolutely zero expertise, my thoughts are there's probably air in the system. I'm guessing no heater means no flow in the system. Not sure if there's a trick to filling the VE, but from memory there was in my last car sort of (a '91 VN). Well the series one engine there was, in my series 2 just filling in through the top radiator hose would get rid of air. Just filling the radiator won't work as far as I'm aware as the engine itself will have air in it now. However WHY the hose blew off may be a problem?? (Blockage perhaps?). Hopefully someone who knows will answer sometime today for you. I'll check back before I go out (off to bed now) and try to explain better if no-one answers properly for you. :)

vz_sv6_owner1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS storm ute
I'd be looking at the thermostats. If they don't open and let coolant flow through the engine your car will overheat regardless of how tight all the coolant pipes are and how much is in them

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
Yes, bleed the air from system

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
check your thermostat,its probably jammed shut.take it out and test it by boiling some water in a kettle,pour the water into a container then drop the thermostat in the water and see if it opens.if it doesnt then its stuffed so buy a new one.