Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help please - 92 vq statesman with vs ss engine.

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VQ 5.0L
Hey people,

I bought myself a 92 Vq 5.0L as I first car with a vs ss engine in it. What is happening is I've had a few problems lately and it's ended up in my car trying to kick over but something's stopping it. It's sputtering and doing tiny backfires.

What first happened is one day coming home from work ( 1.5 months ago ) I noticed my car using an excessive amount of fuel. Strange thing is the fuel gauge would sink atleast quarter to half of the 0-quarter tank mark. As I stopped or got to a steady speed it would rise again to its original position but the again dropped after acceleration. My acceleration wasn't excessive at all just eased on. Before that it had its moments a morning hear and there when it's been cold and once accelerated sputters thickly and carries on and also a bit of lag in changing gear (but that's something completely different I think).

Anyways that night I parked it up and then in the morning started her up and idolised fine but then accelerator was pushed, no power, sputter deeply, just about no movement and then it would stall. It was parked up for the last month with no use (loss of license) and the battery being used in another car, a week ago I went to start it but nothing, trying to kick over but nothing working. I got a mobile mechanic around and payed for him to solder a wire and tell me that my leads were wrong which I knew and that one had burnt out.

I bought new leads, installed them (they're correct, checked 10 times over.), a new coil and a few injector plugs ( one of the prongs on the 8 cyl got busted up when I accidentally pulled it out installing new ignition leads and I tried to kick it over and it arched out.).

I have a feeling it's to do with either the ignition or fuel system.

Notes- there is power to the coil.

I'm not to witty about cars and the know how but I'm slowly getting there.

tassie vp ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp ute v8
i would start with error codes then go from there if you havent done it before there are some posts on this site that will help, save me typing it out
also you may of posted in the wrong year/model probably doesnt matter this is vn-vp

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VQ 5.0L
I tried that this arvo, came up with the engines fine (12) which isn't correct. But I'm wondering if that's got to do with having the battery out for a fortnight or the fact that the dodgy guy that sold it to me (bring juvenile and just wanting a car didn't check it over completely) had a 12 mm bolt in place instead of a 20a fuse block inbetween the 2 prongs in the 'engine' fuse within the small fuse box in the front left of the engine bay above the battery. Which has completely screwed me over because I was hoping that would take away the need for a mechanic. Any other ideas? Cheers

tassie vp ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp ute v8
I tried that this arvo, came up with the engines fine (12) which isn't correct. But I'm wondering if that's got to do with having the battery out for a fortnight or the fact that the dodgy guy that sold it to me (bring juvenile and just wanting a car didn't check it over completely) had a 12 mm bolt in place instead of a 20a fuse block inbetween the 2 prongs in the 'engine' fuse within the small fuse box in the front left of the engine bay above the battery. Which has completely screwed me over because I was hoping that would take away the need for a mechanic. Any other ideas? Cheers

so engine winds over but backfires i know you checked 10 times but make it 11 some caps if you remove them and check where no 1 is on dizzy its not always above on the cap it could be a few spots around from where you think (if you look inside the cap you will see if this is the case or not) 12mm bolt for a fuse lol ive seen rifle shells used before ,but if you removed the bolt and replaced fuse and had no problems prior to this or did you only just remove the bolt
there could be a couple of things wrong but you said it arched (arced) out id be worried the ecu didnt get a spike