Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Please - 98 VT Stalling issue

pumpkinw75

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore
Hi just wanting some advice as what to do. I have a 98 VT sedan, 6 cyl, problem I've been having is it randomly stalls without warning, and only when the weather is hot or if Ive travelled an hour or so and then caught up in traffic, I have travelled to Mildura and back several times with no problems. If i try to start it straight away it sometimes does and idles and dies again, leave it for 10 mins and its off no problems. It has had crank angle sensor replaced with a new one, has had major service, leads, plugs etc. It has only happened 5-6 times since April this year. Mechanic is saying it is not showing any codes and they don't know what the problem is. Just hoping someone can give me some advice. Am a lil worried the weather is starting to heat up and the problem is going to happen more frequently, very frustrating!

CraigCee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Hmm a friend had the same issue and the mechs couldnt find it, but it ended up being another sensor, if I see him I will ask what sensor it was.

pumpkinw75

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore
well seems all my mechanic is doing is seeing if any codes come up and thats it, I have it booked into Holden on Monday, straight away he said sounds like it could be fuel pump and asked if they tested pressure, which they hadnt, fingers crossed!

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
least you should get it fixed,i would have thought if it was the fuel pump it would do it all the time imo

pumpkinw75

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore
Im no mechanic so i wouldn't have a clue? But that would make sense to me too ??

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
make sure they tell you what the cost is etc before you give them the go ahead to do it,being holden it will be dearer than other mechanic shops,

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
well seems all my mechanic is doing is seeing if any codes come up and thats it, I have it booked into Holden on Monday, straight away he said sounds like it could be fuel pump and asked if they tested pressure, which they hadnt, fingers crossed!

I was going to suggest the fuel pump and a fuel pressure test until I read down. I have a friend who replaced his VT V6 fuel pump before it caused any issues, he though tit was a good idea after 200,000km and he said the car ran a lot better. As far as price goes Holden dealers will vary a lot. For example one around here wants about $350 to $400 while at another dealer the pump assembly is about $200. You need to shop around and if the dealer it is booked into is more expensive for the part ask them for trade before it's installed or go and buy one elsewhere and take it in for them to fit, but you['d save even more money buying the genuine or Delphi fuel pump yourself and gettign your own mechanic to fit it.

Also remember there is a mesh filter in these and the service manual says change it after 200,000km, it's probably a good idea to do the whole thing at this time based on my mates experience especially if you can get a genuine one for a good price. You can also just buy the actualk pump, remove and pull apart the fuel pump/sender unit assembly and replace just the pump, they sell these on e-bay.

D

devilly

Get the propper tools its 2 tool kits for this job and change the metal fuel filter at rear of car
they have very werid conectors for safety.before you do the job you have to depressursers the system,first you take off the fuel cap,then you take out the fuse box fuel thingo in the engine bay written on the back of the plate,then you start the car to depressuiser it.then you use the 2 new tools to take the lines off the fuel filter and because you done it this way fuel will drip out instead of spraying you in the face.then just clip on the new fuel filter,then you might notice that the filter has never been changed from coming out of the factory.I would start there.if that dont work check oil level in auto trans if it's and auto of course