Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help please speedo out by 30km on a 97 VS

Jester88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Commodore VS Executive
well the problems written in the title so i aint going to waste too much of your time, but id greatly appreciate it if somebody can help me fix this problem.from what i understand i have to replace the speed sensor or something of the sort. (there not like the old ones where ya just repace the component with another cog).

i should also mention that im a carer an replacing will be a last resort as im always short of coin. but i love my car and i want this problem fixed.

thanks for anyone who looks at this thread :bow:
peace out
jester88

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You probably have the speed alert fitted - this can be set to display your speed - do a search on this forum as it's been covered a few times.
Check the wiring to the speed sensor...though usually they either work or not at all.....is it possible the speedo needle has slipped on it's shaft?

Jester88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Commodore VS Executive
thanks for the reply

yes speed alert is fitted lol. i set it to 150 to let me know when im doing 110km
whats more is im not sure but i think it goes out more as i go faster. but its 30km out at 110 that much im sure of. it just doesn't seem to be that far out when im sittin on 50 really.

how do i check and fix the speedo needle in the shaft and is there a way to make it line up??

as said before i am a carer for ma mother so i tend to have to do a lot of things myself. though the good news is im generally a fast learner. (just not with cars as you can see i dont know where to start lol)

anyhoo thanks again
j88

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Hold the up and down buttons on the speed alert with the key off. Start the car with the buttons still held down, this will turn the speed alert into a speedo. It is accurate, drive at different speeds and check it against the speedo.

Note: You will have to do this every time you start the car as it reverts back to a speed alert when the car is switched off.