Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help please! Voltage Dropping Issue

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
A large number of auto electrical faults relate to poor earth/earth return .Perhaps it would be prudent to check the mechanical side of the earth connections - battery to engine,battery to body,body to accessories etc. This can be achieved with the el cheapo multimeter on OHMS scale and the positive side of the battery disconnected. The reading should be 0.3 ohms or less. Maybe temporarily disconnect the rust prevention system. Hope this helps Hiker.

No this cannot be done with potential you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. It needs to be done with voltage while the car is operational, so you measure the voltage drop under load.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No this cannot be done with potential you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. It needs to be done with voltage while the car is operational, so you measure the voltage drop under load.

If you wish to disagree with someone that is fine but please keep it polite. Replies like this turn into **** fights and then I have to ban people.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you wish to disagree with someone that is fine but please keep it polite. Replies like this turn into **** fights and then I have to ban people.
Okay sorry, I didn't think I was that unpolite more straightforward not offensive but I'll fairy my comments down.

MPA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Thanks so much everyone.

I am kinda pumped to go crazy with my multi-meter tomorrow.
I'll test things before and after I adjust any cables/connections and hopefully will be reporting good news or data that's helpful for diagnosis.

I'm glad I was recommended to these forums.

J

JohnW

At the auto electricians just a couple days ago. To test the alternator he simply turned the air conditioner and headlights (high beam) on, and it showed 14.5 volts at the battery at idle (slightly elevated due to the air conditioner and termo fans running).

The battery was at a normal state of charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

MPA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Didn't get far today as I'd like but here is what I have to report.

Multi-meter on the battery terminals when not running returns ~12.5V. This matches the battery test that supercheap auto did when they sold me the battery, I went and found the paperwork and double checked.

Car running idling in the driveway gives 14.25V at the battery terminals. The Cars dash was reporting 13.0V.

I checked every fuse and relay and found that the Engine Cont Relay was looking in bad shape.
Picture attached:
75552823_450413532261783_2322753695617384448_n.jpg

I replaced it and then took the car out so I could do post run tests.
(Which were planned prior to finding the relay in bad shape)

During the run the voltage on the dash stayed around 13V even at higher speeds (80-100km/h) where it was rapidly declining previously. I still had my sound system dropping in and out though. During heavy acceleration the voltage dropped down to ~12.5V and gradually returned back to 13V. Which again is new, usually once it drops it just continues downwards to 11V or so and then everything goes nuts. It also dropped a bit when ghosting down hills and then returned. Still the audio was playing up but the Tacko was fine the entire ride which was previously the first thing to mess up.

At home in idling in the driveway after the run Battery terminals have 14.0V which slowly dropped to 12.5V once the car was turned off.

The Engine Cont Relay was extremely hot to the touch after the drive. Inside the car the Blower Relay was also pretty hot but not as bad. I turned off the fan and the dash began to read 14V, tested the terminals and it also had 14V so they were agreeing for the first time so far.

I'm going to take it for another short run now without the blower running and see what happens.

I know there was a lot more advice given and questions asked and I do plan to get to them, this is just my very first steps. My multi-meter was dead this afternoon and the one place locally that stocks them (Our tiny bunnings) was out of stock so I had to wait around for a loan of one and thus didn't get much done today. Sorry!

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
How tight are the connectors in the relay socket loose connection getting hot ?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Sounds like there's an issue between the fuse box and interior.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
with engine running try measuring around the fuse box under steering column and see if there are any clues

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Definitely an issue somewhere between the battery and the interior.

If you can work out what circuit/accessory is causing the voltage drop it'll make it easier to locate the problem.