Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

New Posts Contact us

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP PLEASE: VT Brake Conversion Issues...

g00gz

New Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2006
Messages
244
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Adelaide
Members Ride
'08 Accord Euro
I have ripped off my old brake and am mid way through a brake conversion and well, i'm stuck....

I've gone with VT calipers, VN V8 rotors (so I don't need hub adaptors), and obviously the VT (well they gave me VX, which is supposidly the same) brake booster and master cylinder, and thats where my problem lies, its with the master cylinder...

You see when you look at where the brake lines go into the Master cylinder, they don't line up with the original vn master cylinder ones, infact they arn't even close, so what am i to do???!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:hit: :hit: :hit:
 

vpbt1ss

New Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
135
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Members Ride
VR SS manual
mate just run a 1" master cyl no need to change to a vt/vx booster/master my vp v8 had the 1" master on it pedal is fine
 

AirStrike

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
8,157
Reaction score
97
Points
48
Age
35
Location
Melbourne
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Calais'd said:
I have ripped off my old brake and am mid way through a brake conversion and well, i'm stuck....

I've gone with VT calipers, VN V8 rotors (so I don't need hub adaptors), and obviously the VT (well they gave me VX, which is supposidly the same) brake booster and master cylinder, and thats where my problem lies, its with the master cylinder...

You see when you look at where the brake lines go into the Master cylinder, they don't line up with the original vn master cylinder ones, infact they arn't even close, so what am i to do???!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:hit: :hit: :hit:
HAHA! No chance champ. There is quite alot of modification required to fit the VT-VZ booster and master. The booster mount holes wont line up with the fire wall bracket, the rod length is all wrong, etc.
AirStrike :air:
 

g00gz

New Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2006
Messages
244
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Adelaide
Members Ride
'08 Accord Euro
vpbt1ss said:
mate just run a 1" master cyl no need to change to a vt/vx booster/master my vp v8 had the 1" master on it pedal is fine
thanks for the reply guys. OK so I can run the standard vn booster with this 1" master cylinder? If so, is this master sylinder off another model commodore (vn v8 i assume), if not will it line straight up with the booster?

Thanks again...
 
Last edited:

g00gz

New Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2006
Messages
244
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Adelaide
Members Ride
'08 Accord Euro
I've been thinking about this... if i cant use a vt master & booster then what is the difference between VN V8 brakes and Vt Brakes??? They are both 290mm arn't they?... meaning the master cylinders & boosters would have to be pretty much equivelant in output wouldn't they? So the only real defference would be in the calipers, being that the vt ones are twin spot? Am I correct in all my thinking?...This is all gettin to me!!!!
 
Last edited:

AirStrike

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
8,157
Reaction score
97
Points
48
Age
35
Location
Melbourne
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Calais'd said:
I've been thinking about this... if i cant use a vt master & booster then what is the difference between VN V8 brakes and Vt Brakes??? They are both 290mm arn't they?... meaning the master cylinders & boosters would have to be pretty much equivelant in output wouldn't they? So the only real defference would be in the calipers, being that the vt ones are twin spot? Am I correct in all my thinking?...This is all gettin to me!!!!
The VN V8 brakes use a finned single piston caliper with a ventilated 289mm rotor. The VT however is a twin piston caliper with a ventilated 296mm rotor.
The master cylinders and boosters are quite different.
The VN booster is a double diaphram unit with a ratio of 4:1, while the VT unit is 4.25:1. The VT master cylinder is know as a fast fill unit having a 1.25" primary versus the 1" of the VN unit. This helps with the spongy pedal feel with the larger caliper. Hope this helps.
AirStrike :air:
 

vpbt1ss

New Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
135
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Members Ride
VR SS manual
my last vl turbo i built i used the 1" vp master witht the vt calipers pedal feel was real good and was real good stoppers and my car really needed big brakes as i has over 340hp at the wheels never had a problem stopping
 

markovr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2003
Messages
2,979
Reaction score
125
Points
63
Age
59
Location
northside brisbane
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
The vt setup is a step ahead of the stocko booster/master.Booster assistance is greater and the cylinder is different in size.
The front lines go to the rear and the rear to the front of the cylinder.
Vps use the same flares as the vt but some vns used different flares so you might need adapters after that the lines are carefully bent to line up with the place in the new master The pushrod from the booster acts directly on the front brake piston in the master .
You need to adapt the bracket to fit your cars stud holes and weldup and redrill the pushrod hole for the pedal pin so the brake pedal ends back where it used to be.
I speak from experience I have it on my car done all by myself ...not read from someone elses posts.
Here is a picture of what mine looks like after I had moved the hoses to suit http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=1062&d=1104659672
Pict is the booster bracket modified and a few dimensions from jimbo webpage
 

Attachments

Last edited:

AirStrike

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
8,157
Reaction score
97
Points
48
Age
35
Location
Melbourne
Members Ride
91' VN SS
markovr said:
The vt setup is a step ahead of the stocko booster/master.Booster assistance is greater and the cylinder is different in size.
The front lines go to the rear and the rear to the front of the cylinder.
Vps use the same flares as the vt but some vns used different flares so you might need adapters after that the lines are carefully bent to line up with the place in the new master The pushrod from the booster acts directly on the front brake piston in the master .
You need to adapt the bracket to fit your cars stud holes and weldup and redrill the pushrod hole for the pedal pin so the brake pedal ends back where it used to be.
I speak from experience I have it on my car done all by myself ...not read from someone elses posts.
Here is a picture of what mine looks like after I had moved the hoses to suit http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=1062&d=1104659672
Pict is the booster bracket modified
Been meaning to PM ya Mark..............wouldnt have a spare bracket lying around I could buy off ya:p This VN is gonna need the VT setup me thinks....
AirStrike :air:
 

markovr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2003
Messages
2,979
Reaction score
125
Points
63
Age
59
Location
northside brisbane
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
YEP... sure have and I can do a complete vt booster moded and tested to fit a vn/p/r/s for 160 or just the bracket for 60 (fair bit of work in the bracket) + POST of course
 
Last edited:
Top