Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP PLEASE: VT Brake Conversion Issues...

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Calais'd said:
I have ripped off my old brake and am mid way through a brake conversion and well, i'm stuck....

I've gone with VT calipers, VN V8 rotors (so I don't need hub adaptors), and obviously the VT (well they gave me VX, which is supposidly the same) brake booster and master cylinder, and thats where my problem lies, its with the master cylinder...

You see when you look at where the brake lines go into the Master cylinder, they don't line up with the original vn master cylinder ones, infact they arn't even close, so what am i to do???!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:hit: :hit: :hit:

Vt calipers on Vn V8 rotors, noooooooooooo not the right way of doing it at all! Vt rotors are thicker than vn v8 rotors and as the pads start to wear the the pistons in the calipers have to travel further with the vn rotors than they would with the Vt rotors and the pistons can fall out of the calipers. End result, NO BRAKES!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Yep I can vouch for that ...less pedal travel more assistance and the pads seem to bite more with less effort.
Also I always found that with the old booster with the engine just turned off and your foot on the pedal the power booster assistance would bleed off and push back against your foot after about 10 sec....I had 2 cars with the old setup so it isnt a faulty unit.
The Vt booster doesnt do that...

Last edited:

g00gz

Reaction score
Members Ride
'08 Accord Euro
VN Calais 5.0 said:
Vt calipers on Vn V8 rotors, noooooooooooo not the right way of doing it at all! Vt rotors are thicker than vn v8 rotors and as the pads start to wear the the pistons in the calipers have to travel further with the vn rotors than they would with the Vt rotors and the pistons can fall out of the calipers. End result, NO BRAKES!

according to the DBA Catalogue, the VN V8 and Vp Series 1 V8 have the same thickness rotor as the VT. It was only the VP Series 2 V8 onwards that had the thicker rotors.

Anyhow it is all done now and it all works a treat, so thanks everyone for your advice:w00t:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Heres a picture of my vp with the vt master/booster setup that I installed today in about 2 hrs. Its a bolt in with all you have to do that is a bit finicky is bend your brake lines to suit the new cylinder.
Results are instant and all I had to do is bleed it at the lines and it was in and going..didnt even waste much fluid
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=20661&d=1150621024

freakme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 5L
What do u guys recommend regarding a brake upgrade for a VS Exec V8? Did the entire VT model come with twin-spot calipers? Are they finned as well?

Just sussing out what brake package would be a suitable upgrade for the VS model and cost effective to contemplate.

Assistance appreciated.

Cheers Freakme

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
The vt setup is a step ahead of the stocko booster/master.Booster assistance is greater and the cylinder is different in size.
The front lines go to the rear and the rear to the front of the cylinder.
Vps use the same flares as the vt but some vns used different flares so you might need adapters after that the lines are carefully bent to line up with the place in the new master The pushrod from the booster acts directly on the front brake piston in the master .
You need to adapt the bracket to fit your cars stud holes and weldup and redrill the pushrod hole for the pedal pin so the brake pedal ends back where it used to be.
I speak from experience I have it on my car done all by myself ...not read from someone elses posts.
Here is a picture of what mine looks like after I had moved the hoses to suit http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=1062&d=1104659672
Pict is the booster bracket modified and a few dimensions from jimbo webpage

Excellent @markovr ! Do you still make these at all?? In the process of doing this conversion(finally) on the VP and thought the bracket that needed modding was the bracket from the master/ strut tower.(Didn't think it'd be THAT easy,lol)

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Thread_dig2.jpg

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
I also start unecessary threads aswell... :) Luckily I found this 1 in the archives...

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
Agreed. Good find, thanks.