Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help please!!

EamonG

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Calais
So I'm still in the process of learning, but have helped a friend do a service on his car before.

Changed oil, oil filter, ignition leads, spark plugs. Car was running rough before, would take a rev to start most of the time, but never stalled once it was going.

It initially started and idled just fine.
After letting it run for five minutes, put it in drive and it all but stalled as I accelerated out of the drive way. Check leads were on properly, checked spark plugs were tight enough, but not too tight.
It now doesn't even start. Tries, thuds, dies.

I have work at 9am and have no idea what else to do.

munter000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
I hope you got to work on time...

What is the air intake like? blocked, dirty ?

D

devilly

running rough =vacuum leak ,fuel not getting to where it's meant to.or egr gasket needs replacing.

check the rubber hoses under the throttle body and three at back of engine zippy lock them see if it makes a difference.

if it makes a difference then buy some ring clamps.

fuel filter gets blocked no petrol and starves motor ,check for spark and check the line that fuel is getting to injectors

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
You say you changed the spark plugs, did you compare the plugs to the ones you removed, ie were they the same length or reach, gaps correct? Seems a bit strange it would just stop after doing what you have done, sort of points to something you have been working on, I would remove some of the plugs and have a look at them, compare them to the old ones for length of thread. Bit of a long shot but if the plugs were longer than the originals the piston could hit the end of the plug and close the gap, you say you heard a THUD which sounds strange.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Im guna have a wild stab in the dark and guess they did the service cos the car was initially running rough.

I would also change the fuel filter and give the air filter a good clean or just replace it.

Sounds like its breaking down under load, so it could be the coils. Clean the maf and tps while ur at it to eliminate sensors.

Have u checked it for codes?

Start simple...do the fuel and air filter first...then work ur way up the list from the easiest/most likely causes-to the nitty gritty gremlins

Check over all of the sensors/plugs that u were working near and make sure they are connected properly and not damaged.

Did the leads go back in the correct orientation?