Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help pls

VTIIBERLINA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SScrapin Wagon
Hey guys, has anyone tried fitting one of these to their VY LS1? Or anything else for that matter. I like the "Ramjet" style and they seem to have good feedback on it so thought I'd give it a go...
Holden VT VX VY VZ VE LS1 LS2 LS3 OTR Over THE Radiator Mafless Cold AIR Intake | eBay

I must be missing something, the more I try to "get it to fit" the more hopeless it gets. I think this one is more suited to another application, VE maybe....

Some pics
Top of filter surround hard up against underside of front cross member
IMG_2885_zpse04a34cf.jpg

OTR resting on radiator, can't get any lower than this, maybe 5mm if I cutout fan shroud, but note, it's resting on front of radiator aluminium?
IMG_2886_zps144f6adb.jpg

At least 20mm too high at T/Body and bonnet won't shut with it at this position.
IMG_2888_zps19705aff.jpg

Came with 2x smaller connecting tubes which says to me they're suggesting you can keep the MAF, not sure how this will work??? Tubes are wrong size for T/Body anyway. I know this is advertised as a multi fit but this isn't even close...
IMG_2890_zps226353ad.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated, it's a no go till I sort this mess..

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Did you follow these instructions?

Installation:
• Remove factory air box, air intake pipe.
• Remove radiator mounting brackets and lay radiator toward engine.
• Remove grill and disconnect wiring harness mounting tabs to allow harness to move for air box.
• Fit hoses to air box and throttle body and slip air box down in front of radiator note gap in front of radiator is larger on passenger side of vehicle.
• Slip maf sensor into hose on air box and t hen fit into hose on throttle body using fingers or flat blade screwdriver to fit.
• Fit hose clamps to both hoses and fit radiator brackets using factory grommets in supplied mounts.
• Loosen maf wiring near P/S reservoir and plug into maf sensor.
• Refit grill assembly.
• Fit breather hose to air box and fitting on drivers side of the engine.

For the VT and VX you will need to remove a section the the plastic on top of the fans to make clearance for the otr to sit on top of the radiator this can be done with a Stanley knife or a hacksaw .

VTIIBERLINA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SScrapin Wagon
Yep, and those instructions are $hite. I got to the "remove radiator brackets" bit but there's none to remove to just lay back the radiator. The radiator slides down a channel with a rubber wheels connected each side of the radiator (I have VY and VT here to reference). I can't for the life of me see "brackets" to remove to just "lay back" the radiator.

IMG_2892_zps664a6885.jpg

Rubber wheel removed, quite a job to lift this assembly and not much room to "lay back" behind this channel. As you can see the radiator fouls the channel with the laying back even at this small amount.
IMG_2894_zpse3845d76.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited:

VTIIBERLINA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SScrapin Wagon
Found the Ramjet install pdf for VT to VZ, laying the radiator back is just to get otr infront of radiator, done that without laying radiator back. It states to put radiator back in place but as my photos show it leaves the otr too high...
Anyone else?

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Have you tried loosening off the A/C drier thingy in front of the condenser (passenger's side)
and moving it slightly out of the way.

(Roger) Ramjet told me to do that after a phone call, coz I had trouble with mine.

They also, may have sent you a MAF style OTR as well.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Hey guys, has anyone tried fitting one of these to their VY LS1? Or anything else for that matter. I like the "Ramjet" style and they seem to have good feedback on it so thought I'd give it a go...
Holden VT VX VY VZ VE LS1 LS2 LS3 OTR Over THE Radiator Mafless Cold AIR Intake | eBay

I must be missing something, the more I try to "get it to fit" the more hopeless it gets. I think this one is more suited to another application, VE maybe....

Some pics
Top of filter surround hard up against underside of front cross member
IMG_2885_zpse04a34cf.jpg

OTR resting on radiator, can't get any lower than this, maybe 5mm if I cutout fan shroud, but note, it's resting on front of radiator aluminium?
IMG_2886_zps144f6adb.jpg

At least 20mm too high at T/Body and bonnet won't shut with it at this position.
IMG_2888_zps19705aff.jpg

Came with 2x smaller connecting tubes which says to me they're suggesting you can keep the MAF, not sure how this will work??? Tubes are wrong size for T/Body anyway. I know this is advertised as a multi fit but this isn't even close...
IMG_2890_zps226353ad.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated, it's a no go till I sort this mess..

Wheres the rubber tube running between the OTR and intake? These OTR's are MAFless i believe. Also, you have to slide the radiator back towards the engine a little to allow room for the OTR.

VTIIBERLINA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SScrapin Wagon
Have you tried loosening off the A/C drier thingy in front of the condenser (passenger's side)
and moving it slightly out of the way.

(Roger) Ramjet told me to do that after a phone call, coz I had trouble with mine.

They also, may have sent you a MAF style OTR as well.

Cheers NK, Yeah theres suggestions also to "bend" the condenser to allow room but all these suggestions are to get the OTR infront of radiator which I have already done. Ahhh Roger Ramjet brings back memories:spot on:

Wheres the rubber tube running between the OTR and intake? These OTR's are MAFless i believe. Also, you have to slide the radiator back towards the engine a little to allow room for the OTR.

I never got to the connecting tube stage, the OTR is too high for bonnet clearance, and lineup to throttle body. That particular OTR was sent with MAF connections (2x smaller tubes) requiring user to purchase their own MAFless tube, but a Ramjet at $199 it's way cheap so buying a tube doesn't matter.
The laying back of the radiator is to allow room between front crossmember and radiator to get the OTR in place. The Ramjet pdf states to put radiator back into place once OTR is in place which we can clearly see isn't going to work on my car.

Anywho for anyone else up against this I got in contact with ATRACINGWORLD and spoke to Josh who was bloody fantastic. He said that every 20 odd installs don't work like this because of slight differences in radiator configurations. Was keen to help and after a few install photots and a chat he suggested the alloy OTR which fits in these cicumstances and gave me a price too good to refuse. So the plastic fantastic is on it's way back and the alloy one is on it's way over here.
Dunno if anyone else is using AT's or Sydney Speed Shop but their prices seem lower than most and I can't fault their after sales, so I highly recommend them.:thumbsup:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Do a quick google search on: atradingworld, Sydney speed supplies, procomp. For things that aren't critical like an otr cai purchasing cheap products is okay. But for anything engine related it's always worth spending the money on quality parts.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina