Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help, Pod filter install on VT 3.8 with LPG system.

Gabriel_du_Coudray

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina 3.8lt V6
hi all, i am a super newbie to all this performance mod stuff so bare with me. I have a VT berlina 3.8 on gas and i have attempted to install a pod filter. However without any knowledge and not knowing who to ring for advice, without getting the hard sell put on me, i just follow the minimal instructions on the flexable memory pipe that i bought with the filter. As i said im knew so everything i was doing was expreimental for me.

Ok i attached the Pod to the air intake line that runs to the motor, then i attached the flex pipe to the other end of the pod. (yes i did remove all the old air filter box and air intake system before starting. lol) ok having done that i stretched the flex pipe down to the bottom of the engine bay and stuck it through the bottom, temporarylt fastend it in place, so's to catch the flow of cool air from under the car. So far all had seemed simple enough, when i started the car, on petrol, it started nicely, (even though there was no air temp sensor attached anywhere) i proceeded to give it a couple of revs and it seemed fine so i took it for a test run. I felt a fairly big difference in power output to what it was before on petrol however when i attempted to switch it to gas the car just died in the ass. It wouldnt start on lpg and was quite rough whilst turning over, so after trying to start it a couple of times i felt it best not to push my luck any further and put it back to petrol. It started no probs and i drove straight home to try to source out the lpg problem and thats what brings me here...to you... and this awesome commodore site.

Please help me! Is it because the air temp sensor isnt connected to anything?

Is it possible to connect the sensor to it as it is without making up a box around the pod?

If i have to make up a box will it inprove the power more or take it away?

Because i mainly run my VT on lpg does that limit the mods that i can do to get better perfomance?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Gabriel

PS Please be gentle, this is my first time. lol:whistling

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Ive managed to jam the thermostat sensor into my pod without it falling out after 2 weeks, doesnt really matter there that sensor is located aslong as it is connected to the wiring or you will have your engine light stay on.

Does your engine light come on and stay on?? If so I would recommend checking the air-flow sensor and thermostat sensor making sure their connected properly....

Not 100% sure here but if your LPG was working before you installed the pod then I would say its in the computer.

Also check that you havent knocked anything on the intake manifold

Gabriel_du_Coudray

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina 3.8lt V6
thanks for that. ill try it out and see how it goes. the engine light never came on at all whilst running it on petrol, thats why i assumed everything was ok at first. the gas was running fine before the mod so ill go back and check if i have disconnected anything else by accident. The sensor isnt connected at all, its accually sitting in the boot of my car with the other parts. lol

cheers

Gabriel

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
lol yep youll need to get the sensor back on...

The computer would have picked up on the missing sensor,

Check ur engine light again though it should have come on... you might have a blown cluster bulb if it doesnt

Gabriel_du_Coudray

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina 3.8lt V6
ok i managed to fix the problem with the help of your comments, i unattached the flexi pipe from the pod and inserted the air sensor snd then reattached the pipe, now all is running nice and smooth. thank you again.

Gabriel:thumbsup:

Kulwinder

Kulwinder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Hi there
I am having same problem. With my car.
Not commodore but other one Hyundai Grandeur XG.
It's duel fuel. And I installed a Pod Air Filter.
After that it runs on petrol better. But on gas it is dying.

I have checked all the plugs and sensors. They were not even touched.
They are on right place. I just put a tree inch dia pipe. And put a pod filter in front of it.

What can be the problem.
Plz help.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
Hi there
I am having same problem. With my car.
Not commodore but other one Hyundai Grandeur XG.
It's duel fuel. And I installed a Pod Air Filter.
After that it runs on petrol better. But on gas it is dying.

I have checked all the plugs and sensors. They were not even touched.
They are on right place. I just put a tree inch dia pipe. And put a pod filter in front of it.

What can be the problem.
Plz help.
Idle mixture settings will change with mods to the intake the pod filter will offer less restriction than the air box and will lean out the idle settings

danbotten

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive series II 3.8 ecotec
you can buy a ecotec pod adaptor for 49.95 from autobahn that the sensor just clips into would be your best bet but you best bet would be a k&n panel filter unless you have a decent cold air induction for the pod =] hope this helps

Kulwinder

Kulwinder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
thanks very much guys...
yeah you are right. i was thinking same. I should retuned it. because pod filter allows more air to come in throttle body.
Air goes in before Gas. thats why it dies..
I will go retune it

thanks......