Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! problem with DIY car audio!

chrisstacey13

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
i own a 2011 sv6!
I purchased it 2nd hand off carsales and with extra money i had left i decided to upgrade my audio! I brought 2 amps, 2 subs, front and rear speakers, all the wirring and everything the bloke at autobarn told me i would need. my house mate is a sparky and he had done some very simple car audios nothing like this but knew of people who had. so we gave it a go and if there was something we wernt sure of, we scoured the web for answers or asked anyone we know. all went reasonbly well untill after a couple of weeks i was on a long drive and raised the volume up to about 30-35, all good still sounds perfect, after a little bit though the front and rear speakers cut out for a few seconds, subs still working and center speaker (not connected to amps) still working. and it kept doing it off n on untill i turned it down, i didnt think to much of it but now i can only go up to 16 before it starts cutting out? what could be the problem?

b0tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon
I would guess the amps are, or have, overheated, or possibly wire to the subs is too small to handle the load drawn.
May or may not have caused some damage if they overheated.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Either lose terminals, or the amp is going into protection mode. Check your voltage with the sound system running. The fact that you used to be able to run it at 30-35 and now only 16 might mean your battery is getting low.

have somebody look at the amps in the boot while you crank it up. You should see a protection light kick in. If there is no protection light, and the unit simply loses power, you've got a loose wire.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Actually, come to think of it....

You've got 2 amps. One would be a 4 channel for the speakers, and a monoblock for the subs. Since your subs keep playing, the issue is with the 4channel amp.

Check your remote trigger wires (im assuming you needed to bridge them between the two amps?)

Your centre speaker would keep working because thats powered by the headunit, unless you take the grill out and unplug the speaker