Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help !! Professional opinion or experience ??

Miickyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Ride: 2001 A4 VX SS 2001

keeping it short and sweet ? ANY OPINIONS OR EXPERIENCES ON THE FOLLOWING SET UP?

I have the following
Power: 235 rwkw.
Diff: 3.45's

does anyone in this country have a straight answer to what i need, i am very interested in a stage 2 shift kit with 500 thou boost valve and servo gears, any opinions on my current setup and the combination i want. and how much it will cost including labour to have it supplied and fitted.

the car chirps nicely in power mode from first to second which i absolutely love makes it just feel so much stronger, would i get better results out of the stage 2 kit and will it actually help climb that speedo under full throttle.????

any recommendations out there that i may need to change

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
A shift kit wont give you more power or acceleration, just change firmer and hold gears longer in power mode as far as i know. A tuner can tune your auto box to shift firmer to a certain extent and you wont need a shift kit if your happy with the results from that..
You don't list any other mods (OTR, Mafless tune, upgraded exhaust etc) so dont know what you already have but these are the basic power up mods.
3.73 gears in an auto will see better acceleration than 3.45's.
If you have 235RWKW you must have an upgraded exhaust and intake already?? You wont get 235RWKW from a stock SS!! unless its a happy dyno??

Miickyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
A shift kit wont give you more power or acceleration, just change firmer and hold gears longer in power mode as far as i know. A tuner can tune your auto box to shift firmer to a certain extent and you wont need a shift kit if your happy with the results from that..
You don't list any other mods (OTR, Mafless tune, upgraded exhaust etc) so dont know what you already have but these are the basic power up mods.
3.73 gears in an auto will see better acceleration than 3.45's.
If you have 235RWKW you must have an upgraded exhaust and intake already?? You wont get 235RWKW from a stock SS!! unless its a happy dyno??

thankfully it isnt a happy dyno loll yea Ive got myself extractors hi Flo cats dual 3 inch exhaust, and a maf tune, yea his firmed up my shifts really well and i have to admit wow especially those strong traction breaking from first to second CHIRP CHIRP EVERY WHERE WE GO. but i keep hearing that the standard parts shouldn't have the line pressure up so high because they cant take it too well, i like the whole idea of holding a gear little further more rev more pull :), and the firmer shifts really mean there's less slippage transferring from one gear to there next, making better use of that pull through your range,

sorry dude opinions are like assholes everyone has one, unfortunately i cant tell who's is full of **** coz Ive never done shift kit setup before in a ls1... :rofl2::rofl2:

Miickyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
ahhh perfecttt that site pretty much hit the nail on the head FINALLY !!

thanks mate.

this is pretty much one of the questions posted on his site that gave me my answer:

My Commodore has a mafless tune and the shifts feel a bit firmer than stock, can you still shift kit the transmission?

Only if the pressures have been raised slightly,if it shifts feel very firm already, i wouldn't bother changing anything..but if it feels more like a stage 1 then yes our shift kit will be ok.

turns out a tune does the job with out the shift kits.. well awesome i can scrap that idea :) hmmm.. cam and stall converter im on my way :)

if you have any other opinions about mods similar to that would you recommend anything?

current mods OTR, full exhaust, extractors hi flo cats, 3.45 diff gears, maf tune, have i hit my limitations do i start focusing on the engine.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Pretty much a cam and associated parts to do at the same time like lifters, double row timing chain ,conical valve springs etc would be next if your not going forced induction..
You could install an under drive pulley for small power gain and helps your engine spin up / rev easier...

Last edited:

Miickyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Ahhh yeah underdrive pulley that completely slipped my mind. But I honestly can't justify why it's needed I mean I doubt you'll feel any difference when your stomping your throttle. Or am I wrong? Any thoughts kangavxss have you had it done and felt any difference

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
installed it at the same time the cam went in so couldn't tell ya if I felt any difference but was told they free engine HP by slowing down accessories ( power steer, ac etc) . Meant to work better when changing to a bigger cam from stock. I certainly felt the extra grunt from the cam though...Got all the mods listed on my build link ..might give you some ideas on upgrades..
Some head work wouldn't go astray either for extra horses ( probably what Ill be doing next)..