Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help replacing vu rear window...

Steven_c

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 black vu
Got a brick thrown through the rear window I have a replacement glass to go in, just wondering if anyone has done this before I have all the right gear just need pointing in the right direction cheers

How to remove all the plastic panels etc?

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
Pull ... then pull .. then pull a bit harder

Couple screw plates down the bottom I think
Then the surrounds/sailplane are clipped on

Unsure on how to remove the glass

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's one of the easier jobs thanks to a lot of moulding cover but honestly, for the $50-60 to have someone fit it it's probably not worth doing yourself.

This should help with panel removal.

It's been a while, these were never a common job so please forgive my memory.

• The glass has a rubber pull out moulding that wraps around, the glass sits on this when the urethane is wet to hold it up (it may go all round like the VG+ but I cannot for the life of me remember) and it covers the edge/gap.
  • Pull the mould out, clean the glass from it, make sure you don't miss any.
  • Use an Olfa knife with a fresh blade (or similar, not a Stanley knife though, blade's too thick and short) to cut the urethane and shattered glass away from the body, making sure to cut it right back. Pull the urethane/glass away as you slide the knife through and it'll fall off easily.
  • Clean and prime the body as you will scratch it up cutting this back. Make sure the replacement glass has all the urethane cut back (if second hand), using a razor blade.
  • Put the moulding on the replacement glass, using masking tape on the outside to hold it in place. Cut it if it's stretched.
  • Use Sika 255 (needs to be autoglass polyurethane) and run a bead around the body, best to use a V cut in the nozzle so it's thin but high. Try to do the urethane join in a bottom corner and ensure it's touching nicely (no leaks).
  • Drop a window to ensure air pressure doesn't pop a hole in the wet urethane bead (leave it down for 24 hours)
  • Carefully place the glass in evenly but bottom first, so it sits on the moulding, drop the rest in, press firmly but not hard, you don't want the glass shoved hard against the body.
  • Tape it to the roof so it doesn't sink. Let it sit overnight (24 hours) to cure.
  • Pop the mouldings back on.

Steven_c

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 black vu
Trying to find someone to replace it is hard.. Thanks for the good info cheers Steve

Steven_c

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 black vu
All sorted thanks for the help guys.