Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help req'd ~ Vacuum Hoses VS Commodore

marvinstokes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
I have just replaced my intake manifold gaskets. Whilst removing the intake manifold I removed a vacuum hose from the rear of the engine from a small electrical component. The hose was fed thru the top of the intake manifold and ended up at the drivers side front going into an emission control device ( I think ).

After reinstalling my intake manifold I reconnected the vacuum hose and it was then that I noticed that the electrical device at the rear of the engine ( close to the fire wall and basically centrally located ) had two points to which a vacuum hose could fit.

A search of the engine compartment could not find any loose vacuum hoses. My question is, should this component have two hoses or one? - If one then which point ( upper or lower ) should have the hose connected to it?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
That small electrical component you refer to is called the canister purge solenoid and it must have two seperate vacuum hoses connected to it to work properly. The top hose (closest to the electrical plug) connects to the underside of the throttle body and the bottom hose feeds through the base of the manifold and connects to the charcoal cannister. Hope that helps.

marvinstokes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Reply to Cander24

Thanks cander24, sounds like you really know your stuff ~ I will have another look at it tomorrow and fix it up properly . This car idled routh and "hunted' ie revs went up and down at idle, maybe if I fit the second hose this might stop this from happening too!

Thanks again , this site is the best for info thanks to people like you!

Marvin.

marvinstokes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Vacuum Hose in Place

I put the vacuum hose onto the throttle body to the 'canister purge solenoid' and the car idles like new!! - That little sucker has been missing all this time and I thought that the engine was rooted!! - THANKS CANDER!

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Cheers. Glad the info was helpful and sorted your issue :thumbsup: