Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MrPorkHunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
Ok guys and gals hopefully this isn't too tricky for ya's but here we go...

So just over 2 years ago I purchased a VE Commodore after realising the air conditioner wasn't blowing out the cold air I agreed with the salesman that I would take it to his mechanic to be re-gassed as he assured me that's all it was , after waiting in the mechanic shop for 4 hours(no joke), I was told it was re-gassed and had been fixed and sent on my merry way.

I then purchase a custom head unit specifically tailored for a VE model , install it with no issues and am convinced everything is fine... for about 3 months then the problems start , on a hot day I turn the aircon on and to my surprise it wasn't working after um-ing and ah-ing for about 6 months I took it to a local mechanic which he was convinced there was a leak in the gas line and needed to be regassed can't remember what that stung me but after he did that he then figured out and told me that my HVAC module has **** itself so I agree for him to order a new module and install it all up costing me $1,000 being so close to Christmas I was overjoyed by this....not.

So once again fixed I am once again sent on my merry way which brings me up to 3 months ago when my heater just decides to stop working at this point I'm ready to drive it through the salespersons window but I got it at a good price and thought this issue wouldn't be a costly one but now as it's the middle of a Melbourne winter and I have no heater in my car I am effing pissed please if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

It's got me stumped , but I'm no genius.

cheers.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Does the fan work?
Do the different modes work?
No heat at all?
Tried doing a HVAC reset?

Need more details for effective troubleshooting. What model VE? Dual, or single zone A/C?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
VE commodores don’t have a heater tap to control the flow of coolant. The heater core is always hot and the hot or cold air is directed by the flap inside the air box behind the dash.

Most likely the flap actuator is cactus and needs to be replaced. As per above use the relearn procedure and if it’s still not working the actuator probably needs replacing.

I bought the one below for my SSV as my heater isn’t working ATM (haven’t gotten around to fitting it yet). If your thinking of buying though check with the vendor if it will fit your car. They are an ex-Holden dealership so if you give them your VIN they will be able to advise if it fits or not.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1648578...hxbo5rcsxq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Check the coolant is full because that's where the heat comes from to your heater. Also just double check your heater hoses are still attached. If both ok it might just be the vent actuators or module stuffed again but you could figure out how to manually select heater and jam it there through winter ❄️?

MrPorkHunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
Thanks for the reply..
Yes fan works , only blows cold air
Diff' modes seem to work , I.e can set it to heat (just doesn't heat...AT ALL))
HVAC reset I have not done , unsure how
Model of VE is international
And is dual zone AC
Does the fan work?
Do the different modes work?
No heat at all?
Tried doing a HVAC reset?

Need more details for effective troubleshooting. What model VE? Dual, or single zone A/C?

Attach is screenshot from head unit

And model of the player is DDX4019BT 6.2 WVGA DVD-RECEIVER WITH BLUETOOTH BUILT-IN

Hope this helps us both , cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220628-133527_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220628-133527_eBay.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 86

MrPorkHunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
VE commodores don’t have a heater tap to control the flow of coolant. The heater core is always hot and the hot or cold air is directed by the flap inside the air box behind the dash.

Most likely the flap actuator is cactus and needs to be replaced. As per above use the relearn procedure and if it’s still not working the actuator probably needs replacing.

I bought the one below for my SSV as my heater isn’t working ATM (haven’t gotten around to fitting it yet). If your thinking of buying though check with the vendor if it will fit your car. They are an ex-Holden dealership so if you give them your VIN they will be able to advise if it fits or not.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1648578...hxbo5rcsxq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Wouldn't this be a problem that at least 1 of the 3 mechanics I've taken to would have noticed? You make it sound like it's a common issue in otherwords an easy fix .

MrPorkHunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
Check the coolant is full because that's where the heat comes from to your heater. Also just double check your heater hoses are still attached. If both ok it might just be the vent actuators or module stuffed again but you could figure out how to manually select heater and jam it there through winter ❄️?
Like in an older model commodore heating hoses are less visible in the later models , I think , don't quote me. But from a proper stare down under the hood I couldn't figure out where the hoses were.

MrPorkHunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
Like in an older model commodore heating hoses are less visible in the later models , I think , don't quote me. But from a proper stare down under the hood I couldn't figure out where the hoses were.
But I will check the coolant level , to be sure.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Thats the FP9450 facia kit (if its the dual zone one). Are you using it in auto mode or manual mode? If in auto mode, did you (or your installer) run the temp sensors to the right location? Might pay to pop out the HU and verify that everything is connected. If the temp sensors arent connected/shorted out, it may force the system to think the temp in the cabin is super hot and cancelling the heat command. I have the fp9350 single zone unit and have had no issues with mine.