Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! Roof problems with VK

Phantom VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
I have a VK Commodore which has undertaken a lot of work in recent times.
The problem we are having at the moment is that the previous owners did some dodgy stuff to the poor thing and now we are having to fix everything! The latest issue we are having is with the roof. Currently it has a dodgy sunroof installed which doesnt fit and leaks. We were told we would need to replace the roof - does anyone know if the roof needs to be replaced or can a panel be welded into the spot where the sunroof was? Is replacing the roof too dangerous? Any help would be appreciated!

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I dont think you will ever repair the hole properly, a roof is something hard to get right. However you can replace the hole roof, its alot of work but you can do it.
The roof section is braised onto the tops of the pillars I have photos if you want them. You will need to remove your headlining etc, windscreens.

cheers
Scott

GROWLZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Clubsport
All i can say is biiiiig job you got there, if it was me i would either consider a new sun roof that fits properly or get a whole new shell and start from scratch..

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Personally I would prefer to replace a roof than move all the mechanicals & trim into a new body shell. Attached is a pic of the joins I am talking about.

cheers
Scott

Attachments

• smIMGP2582.JPG
    smIMGP2582.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 397

Phantom VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Thanks

Thanks for all your help.

As for replacing the VK - so never gonna happen! Replacing the roof is much easier than moving everything out of this one into another one - we have already spent a small fortune, dont want to have to start again.

Think the roof will just have to be replaced. My smash repairer can do it for around $2k - I was just hoping there would be another way :)

Thanks again.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
As Growlz said:::: Go buy a new sunroof & get it fitted professionally..
Much cheaper than a new roof..Plus good in Summer

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
you could by a couple of straight VK's for $2000... it would be cheaper getting a replacement sun roof than a new roof panel...

Phantom VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Dont really like sunroofs - all they seem to do is cause problems. Besides, this was a dodgy home job and I was advised by several sunroof places that it is illegal to have a sunroof without the engineers certificate for the cut out in the roof.

Decided to go ahead with the roof chop. Should be ready next week.