Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP!! Smoke Detector going off all the time.

cracker

Reaction score
smoke alarm will pick up very small amounts of smoke in the air, why does everyone here sleep with their doors shut?

DaggaZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
you could use a thermal detector in the kitchen. i dont know where you can buy them tho?

ravenator88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim SII
Working in the industry as a Building Surveyor i thought id set the current regulations down for everyone who cared. the rules are: all smoke alarms to be hardwired with battery back up, installed by registered electrician and installed in accordance with Australian Standard (AS) 3786.
in terms of location. the current Buidling Code of Australia requires smoke alarms to be located outside of a bedroom (i.e. the hallway), above and below staircases leading to other storeys. You do not need one smoke alarm per bedroom. it depends on the layout of the room. if three bedrooms are off the same hallway you will only require a smoke alarm at either end of the hallway depending on where they lead.
smoke alarms to kitchen's are of course ill advisable and removed from design drawings prior to a permit being issued.
as said previously in the discussion people can put them wherever they want and yes it might indeed be wise to have them in bedrooms. keeping in mind fires only start by fire sources. what fire sources are in bedrooms apart from electrical, lighters, and the big killer... candles...???

hope this was enlightening for those who bothered to read lol. anybody else have questions on building regs pm me =P

ravenator88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim SII
you could use a thermal detector in the kitchen. i dont know where you can buy them tho?

thermal means heat... i.e. bad idea. no detectors would work in a kitchen as smoke would trigger the beam type and smoke type... so i guess thermals would be ur best option... just dont put it over a rangehood or a kettle =P

smoke detectors are used in commercial projects... i wouldnt really know where to buy them... most electrical stores would have i would think... but more on a commerical side of things. smoke alarms are for residential...

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
smoke alarm will pick up very small amounts of smoke in the air, why does everyone here sleep with their doors shut?
stop the cat getting in
cut down on street noise
stop light from the aquarium getting in
minimise the area we have to heat
..... just ours - im sure there are other reasons that are equally difficult to think up and comprehend.......

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hey... this thread is still going...

Just an update... I found a solution... I've put the smoke detector up... and took out the battery.

There is something up in this room... I actually borrowed a smoke detector from mum and dad and a mate... and they were all going off...

aetude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp
get command 3m strip and move it to better location.