Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Help stuck at 230kw only $2700 left in budget

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
While I was building the 4.2 my old engine died and so it went in with what i had lying around this was the cam.
Lift
Int .308 - 1.6:1 =.493
Ex .308
Dur @ .050
Int 216
Ex 220
Int cent 108
Ex cent 116
Lobe Cent sep 112

I run a cam like this on my stock capacity L67 and it's awesome for daily driver duties.

212°/224° at .050"
Intake Lift .325" (.520" lift at 1.6:1 rocker ratio)
Exhaust Lift .335" (.536" lift at 1.6:1 rocker ratio)
116 Lobe Separation

That said even though your cam is a tad conservative for my liking I doubt it's causing your lack of torque.

E85 and a cooler (either W2A or A2A) will change the car for the better. Even if you don't splash out on the E85 a well thought out and set up cooler is essential at this stage! Maybe look at further porting of the blower if it isn't a great kinda job. I could hook you up with someone who I have a lot of faith in with regards to M90 porting

Lazin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS V6 Wag
Stuffed up formula should be around 505nm

5252 X 308hp /3200rpm =505nm still a bit low.

SirCruisealot. I'm running Pacemakers, Single 3" Exhaust.

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm not altogether familiar with cam design but isn't an LSA of 112 a bit to much overlap for a FI engine.

Twin cats? With the amount of power your making, I would be thinking twin 2.5" territory.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
If your worries about the space under the hood for the A2A plate you can get some K frame spacers to get you that extra room.

if you only have around $1500 then your going to struggle to get a A2A plate and piping. keep an eye out on ebay as i got mine for $300 but it was the steel of the year.

I think your beat bet it to get your $1500 and stretch it out to around $1900. for that i think you could get a LS1 throttle body (if you dont have something like that now) and pipe to sute, A2A cooler piping and a FMI, smaller pulley and a DIY port on the elbow and more on the charger if you can.

do you have any pics of the charger porting you have now???

If you have $4000 you could go a TVS or whipple.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais

Definately consider going twins mate - it will really help, particularly with the spead of torque. I upgraded from a full exhaust with pacemakers, single hi flow cat and 2 1/2" catback to a twin hi flow cat and twin 2 1/4" pipes and it made the world of difference. Shouldn't cost too much to do either - mine was about $600 and that was for two new hi flow cats, two straight through mufflers and the custom setup of the twin 2 1/4" pipes (which are quite hard to fit on a non irs VS).
You could definately consider twin 2 1/2" but space is an issue on the VS.

Lazin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS V6 Wag
(LSA 112) It was an NA cam but as I said I made do, which is why i was thinking ditch it for a more FI based cam.
Don't think twin 2 1/2 will fit, 2 1/4 might.
If I get the heat out through an IC, a bit of cool mist and as you said twin cats and twin 2 1/4.
Thats about a total of $2400 and a weekends labour $1200 for a re-tune and I should be cooking with out heat!
Then I can think about the poor neglected paint.

0081. I have 70 TB and MAF the intake elbow is well smoothed and polished as is intake side of blower outlet smoothed and gasket matched,
running 2.4:1 drive ratio on blower if I go a smaller pulley it will just blow more heat no more air left.

Chargedvx6 If I put 1.7:1 Rockers on it would have pretty much the same figures just different Lobe sep could make a bit of difference?

Thanks for all the input guys if you come up with anything else please add.

Sill waiting to hear from someone with a mace IC?

Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
I just noticed you saying $1200 for a re-tune - dear god thats expensive! I expect around the grand mark for an initial custom tune, but re-tunes shouldn't cost that much. Where do you go and what are you using?(ie, kalmaker?)
I remember having my VS re-tuned a few times and it was usually ~$400 for two hours of custom tuning because the base custom tune had already been done and the workshops chip already in place - this is at Chiptorque in QLD.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
0081. I have 70 TB and MAF the intake elbow is well smoothed and polished as is intake side of blower outlet smoothed and gasket matched,
running 2.4:1 drive ratio on blower if I go a smaller pulley it will just blow more heat no more air left.

Chargedvx6 If I put 1.7:1 Rockers on it would have pretty much the same figures just different Lobe sep could make a bit of difference?

Thanks for all the input guys if you come up with anything else please add.

Sill waiting to hear from someone with a mace IC?[/QUOTE]

(LSA 112) It was an NA cam but as I said I made do, which is why i was thinking ditch it for a more FI based cam.
Don't think twin 2 1/2 will fit, 2 1/4 might.
If I get the heat out through an IC, a bit of cool mist and as you said twin cats and twin 2 1/4.
Thats about a total of $2400 and a weekends labour $1200 for a re-tune and I should be cooking with out heat!
Then I can think about the poor neglected paint.

Yeah the 1.7:1 rockers would put you up at 0.5236" lift but you would want to machine the bases of the valve spring retainers at those lifts as there will be zero safety margin from valve spring/ retainer bind. Stock rockers are 1.65:1 ratio so it will be SFA difference really and you will still have to deal with that crappy LSA of 112 which as you said is a grumpy NA grind spec........

That LSA would actually be wasting a fair bit of boost pressure and helping the charger with less restriction albeit it minimal difference. Where you would find a difference in going to a cam more suited to FI is that it's overall phasing would be different and more advanced most likely. 2 benefits would be much better fuel economy and a larger spread of power/ torque than the NA cam which must be a bit of a one **** wonder in terms of power delivery.

MACE

Reaction score
Good cam if you never plan on intercooling, or plan on running a larger blower/twin charge

I say this as the overlap it has tries to keep the combustion chamber cooler by allowing the intake charge to blow through right out the exhaust.

Comes down to a few things.

Do you plan on ever upgrading the blower down the track (or running an additional one)? If so then I would keep the cam you have and go for the best cooler you can afford at the moment (ideally A2A)

If not then I suggest you change the cam before going down the cooling path. Reasons for this is that you have a stroker engine, lower comp, coupled with the cam you have and M90.

I've seen a similar combo struggle to make around the 200rwkw running our mega blizzard intercooler, simply because the M90 didn't have enough puff with that combo.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Steve

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Mace makes a good point. Nothing wrong with setting gear shifts to 4500rpm if that's all the blower's good to. Not joking. I tried it a while back and it gets through the gears very quickly when you are making good torque.