Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Help The stud holding my front sway bar bracket is broken off

Gunny458

Reaction score
Members Ride
wm Statesman
Hi Guys,
I have just bought a WM Statesman and I think I am in deep ****!! Really I am a HQ man, know them inside out , not so smart on this new stuff. I have found why the previous owner traded this vehicle.
The u shaped clamp that is holding the sway bar bush in position,the clamp that has a tongue one side that slides into a slot in the chassis and a stud screwing into the chassis , well the stud appears to have lost the hex head, allowing the sway bar to push the aforementioned clamp out of position also bending it.
How in the hell do I get at it, I am sure it is simpler if you know how, but seems to me that the aircon compressor is in the road. I think I will need to do some serious stuff to get the busted stud out of the hole and I am flat out seeing it let alone getting at it. How do you suggest I gain access as I will need some room to get the stud out.. Please don't tell me I got to take the motor out.

when & if I have got the front off I would like to fit a transmission cooler. I have read that the radiator cooling feature should be retained as GM factored in the extra heat from the transmission cooler to make the motor run at the desired temperature.Accordingly I do not wish to eliminate that feature. Is there an article on this job as well
Cheers Gunny458

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Run your secondary transcooler inline with the factory in-radiator cooler. This will help your gearbox get up to temp quicker. The extra cooler will keep temps more stable when things get hotter.

As for that stud, there was a bloke on here with the same problem i'm pretty sure. I think the stud is welded from the inside of the k-frame. Not too sure. Have a dig around. If you bought it from a dealer and it still has warranty i'd be taking it back purely because it's a prick of a job.