Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help to remove vinyl dash part on vt/vx?

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Hi there just wondering how do you remove the vinyl dash area on a vt/vx.

I know how to get the plastics off and then the instrument cluster + aircon controls and all that jazz but i want to get the actual vinyl piece that goes across the whole dash off that the instrument cluster ( speedo, tacho, fuel oil etc ) screws into off.

dashhelp.jpg

( The piece in red )

Im just wondering if it is possible to get off is there any danger with the passenger airbag going off?

I want to take it off to vinyl paint it but if it is too hard to take off/too dangerous or cant be taken off, then i will just have to mask it up good and spray in the car but i think it would be easier to take it out.

I haven't had the chance to look into detail in my car because for the past 2 weeks my car has been at the panel beaters after i hit a roo so when i get it back im wanting to do all the interior black instead of grey. I have done the doors and all thats left will be the dash and centre console area.

If anyone knows or could point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. Cheers, Darcy

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
free bump for you, am somewhat interested in this myself

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
free bump for you, am somewhat interested in this myself

haha thanks and yer actually i just realised i need to remove it coz i gotta mod it and drill a hole down through for some wires.

and h=after a bit of research found out its called a dash pad. but still no idea how to remove it. if i had a go at it id prob be able to find it but hidden clips are usually easily breakable and i dont wanna learn the hard way or have an airbag go off in my face haha

WHYtheFACE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I'm loading up my tech cd so ill get the pages for you :p

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
a starting point is to always disconnect the battery

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
a starting point is to always disconnect the battery

yer i would do that but if i pull it off and somehow do something to the sensor ( i dont know much about airbag sensors or how they work ) then when i connect it back up it goess off, i dunno if that can happen but yer still would like to know rather than break clips :)

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II

WHYtheFACE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Apparently there are 5 screws holding it in, two on the top at the back on each side around where the tweeters are and 3 underneath. If anyone wants the section for removing it all from the tech cd message me and ill send you a download link.

edit: heres the link anyway: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4sqo3n3dkt8klq/sect-1a3.pdf

Last edited:

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Apparently there are 5 screws holding it in, two on the top at he back on each side around where the tweeters are and 3 underneath. If anyone wants the section for removing it all from the tech cd message me and ill send you a download link.

link me :p haha