Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help understanding susp setups..

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
My Suspenion is rooted, and Ive been looking at my options, firstly, I've been looking at spring chioces, namely Kings and Lovell's. Both seem to be simialry priced, has anyone used both brands by any chance, if so, did you notice a difference at all? I've read that by installing a lowered spring, and a shorter shock absorber, the spring rate is reduced, and therefore gives a firmer ride. Is it true that a stiffer spring, puts more force on the tyres, and can cause them to break traction sooner, if poorly set up?

i ask because i will be moving to Cairns in a couple of months time, and as many of you would know, it rains more often than not up there. Knowing how easily my car can lose it's composure as it is now when it rains, i'd like know that what i'm putting into it, isn't going to do more harm than good. Because if it is, i'd probably rather just replace my suspension components with factory spec items..

Lastly, if i was to re-compress a new factory spring, to say superlow height, do you think it would come out firmer, than an aftermarket spring of that height? Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice..

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
go some super lows by king springs i personally don't see why anyone needs any other shocks than standard if there not driving at a mad pace over speed bumps or pot holes ect as for loss of traction id be looking for better rubber i keep getting told highway max are the ducks nuts when it comes to traction and there cheep :thumbsup:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Yeah i was thinking Super lows all round, but i'd definately be upgrading the standard shocks to some more suitable ones anyway, because i'm looking to basically replace every component..Yeah i've heard great things about the highway max tyres, and depending on whether or not i can get my hands on them, i'll be trying to get a set of 235 60's to go on some 15x7 pursuits when i have the cash....You mention about better tyres for traction in the wet, i have some 215 supercats, which were on the car wen i purchased it, and they have about 80% left on them, but there absolutely shithouse in the rain, not to mention dangerous. My partner had supercats on her VW aswell, and i remember how much they sucked when it rained too!!

But yeah suspension at the moment is completey rooted, the shocks are stuffed, i had different spirings in the rear, the rubbers are completely worn, and the panhard bar is as loose as a Kings Cross whore..

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Yeah i was thinking Super lows all round, but i'd definately be upgrading the standard shocks to some more suitable ones anyway, because i'm looking to basically replace every component..Yeah i've heard great things about the highway max tyres, and depending on whether or not i can get my hands on them, i'll be trying to get a set of 235 60's to go on some 15x7 pursuits when i have the cash....You mention about better tyres for traction in the wet, i have some 215 supercats, which were on the car wen i purchased it, and they have about 80% left on them, but there absolutely shithouse in the rain, not to mention dangerous. My partner had supercats on her VW aswell, and i remember how much they sucked when it rained too!!

But yeah suspension at the moment is completey rooted, the shocks are stuffed, i had different spirings in the rear, the rubbers are completely worn, and the panhard bar is as loose as a Kings Cross whore..

lol well wet or dry its all about how hard or soft the Tyre compound is and supercats are made to last which meens there hard as for getting some highway max we Victorians can get the easy but not sure about syd

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
All your rain traction problems will be due to shonky tyres, easy fixed. Panhard rubbers are like 10$ you can fit then on the front lawn in a hour or something. So that's no problem

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
well i'd be looking to get them in QLD (Cairns,) so yeah i probably got buckleys off getting a set...So with a soft compound, does that also give improved traction in the wet, as it would in the dry does it?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
All your rain traction problems will be due to shonky tyres, easy fixed. Panhard rubbers are like 10$ you can fit then on the front lawn in a hour or something. So that's no problem

The reason i asked about how the suspension could affect your traction in the wet, was because i read an article which was saying that the more force your spring puts on the tyre, the easier it will break away...any thoughts on this? Yeah i know panahrd bar and rubbers can be done pretty cheap, but i'd probably go for an adjustble one, if i was to fit SL's, because i know when i dropped my car down a while ago, it was about a fill inch over to the passenger side...

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
certainly dose my friend but if you use a softer compound Tyre it don't mater how stiff ya suspension is they will stick

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Small price to pay for a safe ride in the wet. And in Cairns, thats most days... At the moment, the back end will step out in the wet, even at speeds of 40KM/h and under, you dont have to provoke it or anything, it just looses it and steps out......Scarred the **** out of me the first time..wasnt anticipating it at all lol