Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! V6 Auto Tranny Leak!

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
Hey guys,
My mate n me did a service on my car today, changed engine oil over, new spark plugs, oil filter etc...and we did a transmission service too, so i bought a tranny service kit from Repco for the 4L60e box, which came with a new cork gasket and filter.
We undid the sump, drained the oil and cleaned up the inside of the sump, took the original gasket off(which was plastic i think) cleaned it up again, put on some selleys silicon, cork gasket ontop and some more silicon on that, cleaned up the transmission area where the sump bolts onto and did the bolts up, not as tight as we could get it, but not loose so it would leak(and not so tight it would break)...filled it bak up with some dextron III, started the car up and let it warm up, checked fluid levels and they were ok, went for a short drive around the block and then bak into the drive way.....look underneath and theres this huge puddle of transmission fluid everywhere! and all up the driveway it was dripping from when i got home! we looked underneath and the cork gasket had like been squezzed out in some areas(corners).....

What could have caused this? i dont think we tightened it up too far cause it wasnt leaking before i took it for a spin, so it was all good then.
Is there anything you guys could suggest that we can do when we try to fix it up tomorrow?

Thankz
Nick

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Try using Permatex on the gasket instead of the silicon. The silicon might not have had time to cure before you went for a test run.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
The cork gaskets are total crap, get a good semi rubber one, but if it's leaking from the front seal where the converter goes into the tranny your up for big dollars to fix it, so if it leaks a drop every day and then leave it be, it can't hurt anything.

The sump gasket should be fitted properly, with both surfaces clean, toss a cork gasket in the bin, use the better one, the problem with cork is it can be overtightened, if you must use one, it has to be glued on and with very little tension on the bolts.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
And you should never use any sort or type of gasket cement/glue/sealer as it can get mixed up with the oil and block the filter or, if not fully cured could go thru the filter and block the oilways or valves etc.(which may occur if immersed in oil). The factory fitted gasket comes pre-coated with a thin sealant which cannot break loose from the gasket. As Digisol states, cork gaskets are crap and the ones to use are the ones to use are the semi-rubber (neoprene I think) ones - they have the appearance of cork and rubber particles fused together. The bolts only need to be done up as though you were using a screwdriver to tighten them and overtightening them leads to the gasket being forced out.