Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help ve sv6 low rpm rattle/vibration

Lt dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 5.0L
My car is a 2006 ve sv6 6 spd manual.

I have this issue where at low rpm between 1200 and 2000 rpm I get this vibration/rattle when accelerating out of a corner or from a stop. It's only present between this rpm range, it is not present if the car is in neutral and I rev it through the range. When it happens the acceleration feels a little flat too.

I have had it in to Holden and my mechanic both of which are unsure without throwing parts or stripping the car down both of which costs a ridiculous amount.

I have had the timing chain checked as I thought that was the issue. It doesn't affect the car in any other way it just feels like a weird rattle vibration as I accelerate. It sounds like it comes from the engine but I can't check to be sure because as stated before it only makes the sound when the cars under load and not when in neutral. It literally makes this zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz noise until it reaches 2000rpm and then it stops.

I hope I can get a bit of direction. Thanks in advance.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Can you record the sound?
Does it sound like rubber or metal or the engine misfiring ?

Lt dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 5.0L
Can you record the sound?
Does it sound like rubber or metal or the engine misfiring ?

I have tried to record the sound but it doesn't come through well enough to hear. It's definitely a metallic noise I'll. Try to get a video. It only happens when driving I can't get it to do it unless it's under some form of load. And then just completely disappears at 2000rpm

VPFreak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Try turning your AC on and see if it still makes the noise. I had a similar problem that turned out to be the AC compressor pulley. It went away when I had the AC on.

Lt dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 5.0L
Try turning your AC on and see if it still makes the noise. I had a similar problem that turned out to be the AC compressor pulley. It went away when I had the AC on.

Yeah I tried that I would turn everything off everything on just to try and find a change. It's driving me nuts

Nick.Element

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.6 L SV6 commodore manual VE
Hey, I’m new, I’m kind of having a similar ish problem, basically when Im in any gear when the car is below 1500 RPM it makes this loud crank noise when given acceleration, like it sounds like a big truck, it’s hard to pin point where it comes from, after 1500 rpm it’s fine. If any one knows a potential issue please feel free to let me know
Cheers