Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP!!! vr front pinion bearing preload

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
ive just taken my front pinion bearing out as i think its causing an annoying humming noise, im gonna get a new bearing and seal tomorrow but like a dick i didnt mark the big nut before taking it off grrr does anyone no the torque setting (although i dont have a torque wrench handy) or the number of turns i should do it back up, im so annoyed as im an engineer, i should no better grrr

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Front pinion bearing? you talking about the diff pinion gear?

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
yeah the sorry the diff pinion bearing behind the yoke where the prop joins, its the nut that holds the yoke to the pinion shaft

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
AFAIK (mind you i'm no expert of diffs but have messed with them a bit. There is shims in there to get pinion depth correct. Add 3-4thou to preload (if reusing shims) for bearing to settle the torque of the nut if around 250ft pound.

Your supposed to use an inch pound torque wrench to make sure your preload is correct but i dont know what the exact preload is supposed to be. Maybe someone can fish it out of the car manual

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
i haven't actually stripped the diff all ive done is dropped the prop, removed the yoke and pulled out the seal and bearing from the front cos im hoping the annoying whirring noise is that bearing. so im just goona chuck in a new bearing and seal and see what happens cos i dont want to have to strip the diff but if this doesn't work then i will have too, so that nut is 250ft pounds thats cool thanks for your help

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
all sorted fitted new bearing and seal tightened nut to 250ft pounds put in castrol 90 oil and noise has now gone :)