Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! VR issues not even a little bit mechanically inclined

Uselessfemale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore ute
so I am borrowing my sisters Ute. She put a new battery on it last week.
It has to be jump started most times. Some times it will just start. I’ve already checked the battery terminal and tightened up loose knobs (it seemed to help a little).

The indicators and hazards won’t work at the same time. It’s either one works and the other doesn’t, or the other way around. I went to the local repco and they replaced a burnt out flasher unit. I now have indicators but no hazards.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
so I am borrowing my sisters Ute. She put a new battery on it last week.
It has to be jump started most times. Some times it will just start. I’ve already checked the battery terminal and tightened up loose knobs (it seemed to help a little).

The indicators and hazards won’t work at the same time. It’s either one works and the other doesn’t, or the other way around. I went to the local repco and they replaced a burnt out flasher unit. I now have indicators but no hazards.
Hazard light switch is a common issue. As for it not cranking the starter motor is probably buggard.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How can I tell if it’s the starter motor
Probably hard to do what you can try and hit it with a hammer when it doesn't crank. 99% chance your starter motor is buggard if the battery is load testing ok. Starter motor problems are common on the VR. People often fit second hand ones but the problem comes back, new is the go

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
As your borrowing said vehicle make sure it has PROPER insurance before you even put a hand on it.