Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP - VX calais stereo amp and subs....ANYONE??

joyfam

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a VX calais with completely stock stereo. Eurovox H/U with Stacker in the boot. It also has an amp powering two little subs in the parcel shelf. I want to upgrade my deck but still be able to use all the speakers in the 4 dours and the subs in the parcel shelf. I don't want to put a new amp or speakers in.....Is it possible to just upgrade the Deck and still make use of all the speakers. I have spoken to so many different people and get a different answer every time. I really need some help on this one

THANKS!

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
Yes you can upgrade the deck and keep your standard speakers, they are independant of each other, however, stock speakers are generally pretty sad in sound quality.

joyfam

Reaction score
Are you sure, because there are 2 front speakers and 2 rear door speakers which would all run off the deck fine. Where is the amp and subs gonna get power from with an after market deck though(won't the factory plugs be different to RCAs etc..)

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I would imagine the factory amp for the subs would get its signal at speaker level, have a look at this thread....
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/car-audio/5744-vx-calais-rear-speakers-eurovox-head-unit.html

Someone posted a pic of the factory amp in a statesman, it should be similar to what you have...mounted on the underside of the parcel shelf. It should be fairly easy to figure out which wires are the audio input.

As far as power for the amp goes, it will be a separate power/earth wire for this not involved with the stereo, only thing i can think of is the "remote" turn on wire an whether it gets its power to turn on via the stock head-unit.

I would grab a test light/multimeter and test the wires going into the amp when accessories is off and when its on, you'll find a wire that turns on with accessories, take note of the colour and see if its in the stock wiring at the stereo, if so you'll need to connect this to the remote output of the aftermarket head-unit along with the audio inputs for the amp, which will be in the stock wiring at the stereo.

Hope i made sense.....i did in my mind atleast ;)