Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP - VX calais stereo help...ANYONE??

joyfam

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a VX calais with completely stock stereo. Eurovox H/U with Stacker in the boot. It also has an amp powering two little subs in the parcel shelf. I want to upgrade my deck but still be able to use all the speakers in the 4 dours and the subs in the parcel shelf. I don't want to put a new amp or speakers in.....Is it possible to just upgrade the Deck and still make use of all the speakers. I have spoken to so many different people and get a different answer every time. I really need some help on this one

THANKS!

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais L67
Yes it's perfectly fine.

The headunit does not "know" about the speaker setup, it just provides 4 channels, and then they are split up later on. When you get a new deck either:

A. Get it installed (Costs money and most installers will just do whatever is quicker and cheaper from them since they don't care how dodgy it is because it's hidden away)
B. Install it yourself and either:
B1: Buy a wiring harness by Aerpro, from autobarn or similiar. They usually offer 1 that goes from your model of car, to a universal plug, and then another that goes from the universal plug, to certain models of headunits. (cost about 15- 20 for each harness)
B2: Use a wiring diagram and cut off the factory eurovox plug, and then join the wires to your new headunit plug. (Cost a bit of solder or some wire connectors)

joyfam

Reaction score
Where does the signal come from to power the speakers running off the amp? Do these harnesses account for these speakers or are they just for the stock systems? Have you done this in your car or know of it working?

joyfam

Reaction score
According to a couple of installers that I have spoken to - If i just used the aerpro harnesses these wont allow the rear speakers to work...any ideas???? On the other hand one bloke reckoned they would..Why isn't there a simple yes or no for this?
thanks again guys

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais L67
I didn't do the original headunit changeover in my car, but i've done subsequent ones. The headunit is just supplying 4 channels.. the rear parcel shelves are run off the rear channels, as well as the rear doors. I dunno how the stock setup is, but the signal to the amp will either be RCA's from the headunit, or just speaker wire and the amp uses a High Level Input. Have a look at the amp and see what goes into it, either speaker wires, or RCA's.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
According to a couple of installers that I have spoken to - If i just used the aerpro harnesses these wont allow the rear speakers to work...any ideas???? On the other hand one bloke reckoned they would..Why isn't there a simple yes or no for this?
thanks again guys

You must have misunderstood. Use an aerpro harness and your new deck will run the rear speakers, and the amped subs perfectly well. What I am saying here is a simple and resounding "YES" to your question.

I have taken this route myself - and assure you the results are very nice.

I took the next step - and was very pleased. I got a head unit with subcontrol and upgraded the amp that runs the subs. The amp cost me $60 on ebay, and the rca leads are cheap - so having spent a coupla extra bucks on the head unit has payed off very well.