Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help vz crewman 05. Need tech 2 recoding asap ppease

Reaction score
Members Ride
Crewman
Have done a motor and transs swap on my 05 crewman from a 05 Berlina 3months apart in build dates and cant get itbto start no faupts exceot low fuel urgent service airbag faupt wont start from key or when i bypass it i have read that it can be reprogrmed with a Tech 2 can someone please help am willing to pay reasonable $ located in Erskine

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
When you say "wont (sic) start from key", can you confirm that you mean the engine cranks OK but won't start, rather than the engine not cranking at all.
Explain what you mean by "i (sic) bypass it", what did you actually do there?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Crewman
Sorry was a typo when i turn the key i get very low fuel airbag alert etc however when disconnected the starter motor and put it on the battery it turnsover but wont start i had a reasonable scan tool cost about $1000 and had specific files for holden and ford by entering the vin it came back with low voltage so i bought a new battery i am at a loss as to what to do next that has now been resolved but still no ignition from the key itself i did a motor and gearbox swap and the donar car was driving perfectly it was a 05 Berlina 3months apart from build dates i have swapped the pim bcm and have tried both the old ecu and the 1 from the donar

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s because Crewman only had the LE0 low feature motor. The Berlina was the LY7 high feature motor. All the looms will swap over ok. Getting them to work will do your head in.

The Berlina had a high feature BCM and will be expecting to see climate control and side impact airbags (located in the Berlina Seats).

The instrument cluster (if still your original one) will be seeing a compatibility issue with the number of airbags right now.

You will be having all sorts of compatibility issues with what you have done.

To get this working you’ll be best to swap in Berlina dash loom, BCM, PIM, and Berlina Key from the donor car. Also the front seats, interior loom (which is the same as sedan on Crewman, I’ve checked). You’ll need the Climate Control as well. Also the roof loom that plugs into the right side loom. That side loom also has your airbag stuff that will be required.

The key, ECM, BCM and security PIM all need to be matching. The cluster needs to see the correct number of airbags.

If using the Berlina cluster, you’ll need to send it off to get the fuel gauge and speedo set correctly to suit the Crewman.

You’re about to upspec your Crewman unexpectedly.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Then there’s the gearbox, but not sure what compatibility problems there would be because the Powertrain Module doesn’t need VIN matching and seems happy operating on its own.
You may find yourself needing the 5speed auto from the Berlina also.
That is another can of worms.

Although they are similar motors, swapping these is fundamentally like an engine conversion because of all the peripherals that go with them.