Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help.. vz Holden

elle321

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon v6
Hi all I need advice urgently please if anyone can help me.. I have a VZ wagon, I was redoing a spark plug and coil, when i finished I started the car and it sounded terrible like it was grinding and not wanting to start, then started and just cut out while running absolutely terribly. Rough and loud. I noticed that the old plugs porcelain had shattered into a couple big pieces and a few tiny pieces, and fallen into the engine. Any idea what damage I've done in there or what I'd need to do, to get the bits out, or where they may be in there. Or more importantly, what I may have damaged? Any advice much appreciated. Im too scared to try start it again, it sounds like it's gonna cease up or something. But definitely very rough and like the fuel isn't getting thru very much. It won't idle longer than a few seconds very loudly and motor is knocking violently all of a sudden since the porcelain bits fell in and since starting it with the bits broken off unknowingly in there. Heelllllppp

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Not much of an option than to pull the heads and inspect the damage. Possibly scored/damaged a piston/bore/valve.
Let us know how you go.

elle321

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon v6
Not much of an option than to pull the heads and inspect the damage. Possibly scored/damaged a piston/bore/valve.
Let us know how you go.
Cheers, will do. and have a look at them bits and see if they're damaged

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The most dodgy option would be to vacuum out the bore via the spark plug hole. You never know, it might work?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
The most dodgy option would be to vacuum out the bore via the spark plug hole. You never know, it might work?
Yep, duct tape a piece of rubber hose to the end of the vacuum sucker nozzle, just make sure it is small enough to go in the plug hole, and maybe one of those inspection cameras usually on special under $100 to have a look around.
Hopefully the bits being raised on the top of the piston have not bent a valve but maybe have closed the spark plug gap.

Last edited:

elle321

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon v6
So all the bits are out, apparently it all looks fine but after compression test on that cylinder, mechanic says I've bent a valve rod? Does anyone know roughly what it costs to get a replacement? As I feel he's going to try rip me off by the way he's talking. Thanks guys

elle321

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon v6
He says it's not good news and that he has to remove the heads etc and making it sound like it's gonna cost a fortune.. I got a gut feeling he thinks he be safe to milk me a bit.. so any input be much appreciated

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah. These engines are boat anchors at best.
Start opening them and it’s expensive. They are complex compared to previous Commodore engines.
It will be expensive.
thousands .

I would go to someone else and get a second opinion or just swap the motor with a second hand one from a wrecker for about $1500 or so.

Some wreckers have their own workshops and are happy to do the work for you.

My local workshop has done many engine swaps rather than repairing these motors.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
To replace a valve, the heads have to come off.