Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with a new carowners VT sound build.

Helmo645

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey all,

I just got my first car a 2000 Olympic Model VT commodore however the stock front speakers ALWAYS crackle and pop when playing my bass music. Already have a pioneer headunit in the car that came with it. So seeing im very poor after buying the car i need to do this on the cheap replacing my speakers...

Firstly do i need an amp to hook up new speakers?? Also would i be able to hook the speakers up myself if i buy them or would i need to get a professional to do that...? Anyways im looking at spending about $300 i know im stingy but its all i got atm to increase my sound in the car the best i can... was thinking replacing the stock front ones with these Ryda Car Audio - Kenwood Car Audio KFC-M1632A Car Speakers($64.85)... not to sure about brands or anything but they have a massive saving so sound alright haha, 6 inch is what goes in front yer??
and Then thinking maybe disconnecting rear doors and putting these on parcel shelf if they fit Ryda Car Audio - Kenwood Car Audio KFC-M6932A Car Speakers($69.85). Otherwise if you can tell me better suggestions that would be fantastic!!

Thanks heaps guys!!

Or for even cheaper can go fusion and get these 6x9s for $40 http://www.ryda.com.au/Fusion-EN-FR6930-6x9-Car-Speakers-p/enfr6930.htm and then the 6inches for front for 45$ http://www.ryda.com.au/Fusion-CS-FR6020-6-Car-Speakers-p/csfr6020.htm

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
They distort when playing low frequencies because they are not designed to be doing so. If you go and put either of those speakers in that you have linked, it will be exactly the same. Anything around that size 6'' and price, is basically a midbass, midrange speaker, and is best to suited to playing above 100hz.

Also, replacing the front door speakers will a coaxial speaker can be a bad idea, it is too low of a mounting point as far as the tweeter is concerned and the height of your sound stage could suffer.

Replacing the rear when on such a tight budget is an equally bad idea unless you are depending on them for added bass duties, in which case something like a 6 x 9, or even 7 x 10 (if they still make them) can be used, but without external amplification your not likely to notice much improvement over what's currently in place.

Helmo645

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm ok thanks for that then, how would be the best way of avoiding the distortion then?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Begin with a decent set of entry level speakers, for this your looking at around $100-150, and preffereably a split component set rather than a coaxial speaker. Spending anything less than that really isn't worth while and wouldn't offer much of an improvement over what's currently in place. Yes the factory speakers are of cheap quality and price, but so are the ones that you linked, so same same.....

Add an external amplifier, and set your HPF (high pass filter) http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/car-audio/157012-basic-system-tuning-gain-settings.html accordingly so that the speakers are not trying to reproduce frequencies lower than that of their response range.

After that you could look at the option of adding a sub.

Helmo645

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok thanks heaps mate so will spend the extra dosh and be broke but have decent speakers haha.. Do you suggest just doing the fronts and forgetting the parcel shelf speakers for a while seeing im in the front all the time? Also maybe link me up to a cheap amp that will do the job for what i need :D Would installing splits in the VT be more difficult sorry i dont really have any knowledge of doing it at all haha

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Well the VT has split speakers anyway, and are fairly easy to replace provided that you are patient enough your first time around. There's also a few "how to guides" on replacing them, i'll see if i can find them, they are on the forum somewhere but my search function won't work on the mac i am using for some reason. (maybe someone else can link him)

Yes i suggest leaving the rears. One reason as you allready mentioned is the fact that your not sitting there. Take into account the distance between them and your ears, and it's quite easy to see how the money could be better spent elsewhere in the build. Secondly, music isn't recorded with rear channel signals anyway.

There are tons of budget amps out there but it depends on the application. Get the speakers first, and then go from there. Speakers will work for the time being without an amplifier, while an amplifier on it's own will obviously do nothing without speakers.

Don't spend too much on the front speakers that your budget will never allow you to amplify them. A $150 set of speakers with a $150 external amplifier is likely to sound better to your ears, than a $300 set of speakers just driven off the head unit. Buying the best gear you can is important but so is choosing the right components.

Helmo645

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok thanks heaps didnt realise it already had splits, guess I will sit myself down for a whole day when i try to wire it all up :) Hopefully somebody could find those tuts that would be a fantastic amount of help. Also will leave the rears for now then.

Talking Amps what brand would you suggest for budget and what sort because i see monoblocks and 2 channels and 4 channels etc im confused haha!

Looking at splits on that Ryda site for splits really they are around $100 each so yer will be 200$ which is alright found these fusion ones as cheapestRyda Car Audio - Fusion CS-CM60 6" Split Speakers($79.85) however for 99$ i could get these sony ones which is half price Ryda Car Audio - Sony XSGTX1620S 6" Split Speakers($99.95) they are 6.5inch though so would require the cutting back of them to fit.

Whats your thoughts ?

Sorry im so new at all this thanks for your time!!!

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Those prices quoted are for the set, not each...so it's $99.95 for the full set, both sides :)

Helmo645

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh really sweet as!! That makes things alot cheaper then!!!! I was thinking it was each gee im dumb :D
Well for $100-$150 for a set which do you think im best going with :D will go with splits as that sounds the best thing.so much choice sony, pioneer, jvc, fusion, kenwood, jbl and the list goes on!!

they all on this page if you want to find them faster http://www.ryda.com.au/Ryda-Car-Audio-6-Component-Speaker-Store-s/80.htm

also will all of them come with everything you need because i noticed the sony ones come with some little box things i think crossovers?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I wouldn't concern yourself too much about what brands are out there. Obviously steer clear of anything that seems too good to be true, because it generally is, and avoid online Ebay store's where there is the possibility of buying a fake item. Stick to main stream brands ( Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion, Sony ect ) and avoid those of the likes of Powervox, Kingwood, most of which will be found online.

Otherwise brands should not be a concern, listen to as many different speakers as you can within your budget, and just buy what sounds best to you.

A set of speakers can have a tailored sound, but amplifiers within similiar price brackets generally sound the same, as they do what their name suggests and nothing more. The only time you'd be likely to hear any audible difference between amplifiers, would be when comparing two different amplifiers of considerably different build quality, and providing the speakers were detailed enough to reveal any differences.

Talking about those speakers you linked, the Sony's actually aren't too bad. When first released they were almost double the price of what they are now, so for $100 they represent pretty good value, and you couldn't really go wrong. Personally i would much rather be installing a set of them compared to the Fusion Ecounters that you also linked, but that's just personal preference. Remember to factor in the price for a wiring kit for an amplifier (approx $50 for a cheap one) if you haven't allready done so in your budget.

Yes, any component set will come with everything you need, mid woofer, crossover, and a tweeter. One of each for each side.

Last edited: