Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with a Vy Blower Fan

fruity

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy executive
Hi, Can someone tell me how do l replace the Blower fan on a vy commodore with "step by step" instructions, also do l get to it from inside the car and if so from the passenger side or the drivers side. Any advice would be helpful. l posted this on an archived thread but didn't get any answers so l thought that l might have needed to make a new thread to get some help .Thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I don't have time for step by step instructions but I can tell you it is behind the glovebox. On the inside of the glovebox on the right hand side there is a big black plastic pin, pry it out with a screwdriver and remove the glovebox. Remove the trim above the footwell, just a couple of screws. Then remove all the screws holding the inside of the glovebox in place, there are quite a lot of them. Once you have that out you should be able to see the the blower, disconnect the wiring, undo the three screws that hold it place and then you should be able to ease it out.
That is the basics of it, I don't think I missed anything. I replaced my blower fan a couple of months ago so I'm pretty sure that is all there is to it.

fruity

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy executive
I don't have time for step by step instructions but I can tell you it is behind the glovebox. On the inside of the glovebox on the right hand side there is a big black plastic pin, pry it out with a screwdriver and remove the glovebox. Remove the trim above the footwell, just a couple of screws. Then remove all the screws holding the inside of the glovebox in place, there are quite a lot of them. Once you have that out you should be able to see the the blower, disconnect the wiring, undo the three screws that hold it place and then you should be able to ease it out.
That is the basics of it, I don't think I missed anything. I replaced my blower fan a couple of months ago so I'm pretty sure that is all there is to it.

Thanks for the help. l have removed the fan. Now how can l test it. Can l just connect the terminals to the car battery to see if this will turn the fan or is there some other way that l have to check it.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sometimes pulling them apart and giving them a good clean can get them going again.
A new one from Holden cost me $255, not cheap.
If that is not in your budget either ebay or a wreckers is your best bet.

fruity

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy executive
Sometimes pulling them apart and giving them a good clean can get them going again.
A new one from Holden cost me $255, not cheap.
If that is not in your budget either ebay or a wreckers is your best bet.

l took the fan apart , gave it a clean and now it works but there's a something like a air hissing noise coming from around the fan area and it will only blow on the windscreen. All other positions of the switch dont work. l might have to take the fan back out but l dont know why the fan will only blow on the windscreen. Any ideas?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
You have probably dislodged one of the thin vacuum hoses, when there is no, or low vacuum the vent defaults to the windscreen.

fruity

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy executive
You have probably dislodged one of the thin vacuum hoses, when there is no, or low vacuum the vent defaults to the windscreen.

You're right. Found the hose , connected it back up and all is well. Thanks