Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with ABS light

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Hey guys, so finally got my car going again and slowly restoring it to it's former glory :yeah:

Since installing the new wiring/bcm etc the abs light on the dash has been showing. The air bag light was also on, but that was cleared with a scan tool. The Scan tool was indicating the right rear wheel sensor was not giving a reading and thus the abs code.

There were no abs issues at all before the burnout of wiring (main body loom replaced)

The auto elec said it could be the wire unplugged or a faulty rear wheel sensor. But i'm thinking maybe the loom that runs down the drivers side towards the back? This is the only loom (almost) that is still original. Perhaps there is a slight difference in wiring. I should have the loom for that side of the car that matches the body loom I put in around somewhere.

Should I bother ripping all that out to try the new loom or take a look at the sensor? Advice greatly appreciated. :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id check the wiring that goes from the ABS module which is located behind the drivers side kick panel,to the ABS sensor at the rear drivers side wheel with a multimeter to make sure theres no breaks etc in the wiring loom...The two wires that go from the ABS module to the right rear wheel are a black wire,and a Blue wire..The ABS module connector numbers in the workshop manual are as follows-
Black wire = ABS module connector pin 11,
Blue wire=ABS module connector pin 38.
You can also check the ABS codes yourself,just like you can check the ECU error codes,and you dont need a scantool,instead of bridging ALDL connector pins 5 and 6 to flash up the ECU error codes,you just need to bridge ALDL connector pins 5 and 12 instead.This will flash up any set ABS error codes on the ABS dashlight.Heres a list of the ABS error codes.

12 Diagnostic system operational
21 Right hand front wheel speed sensor fault
23 Right hand front wheel speed sensor continuity fault
25 Left hand front wheel speed sensor fault
27 Left hand front wheel speed sensor continuity fault
28 Wheel speed sensor frequency error
31 Right hand rear wheel speed sensor fault
33 Right hand rear wheel speed sensor continuity fault
35 Left hand rear wheel speed sensor fault
37 Left hand rear wheel speed sensor continuity fault
41 Right hand front inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
42 Right hand front outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
45 Left hand front inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
46 Left hand front outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
55 Rear inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
56 Rear outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
61 Pump motor relay circuit fault
63 Valve relay circuit fault
71 ABS control module internal fault

Last edited:

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Code 31 would indicate that the sensor connections are OK but the sensor is not producing a signal. Code 33 would indicate a fault with the sensor or the wiring.
On startup (key on), the system self checks that all the wheel sensors have continuity, if thats OK it keeps the lamp off. Once the speed goes over about 6kph the system checks the sensors for a signal output, if thats ok it keeps the light off.

In addition ot Bretts advice, try unpluging the sensor at the wheel and test the output with a multimeter set to AC volts while turning the wheel.. If there is a signal you may have a wiring fault.