Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with Adventra LX8 purchase?

fragmoider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII One Tonner
Hi Guys,

I was just out car shopping on a whim.. I have a mitsu 380 that is gettingup in k's that I wanted to get out of into a more suitable vehicle as I plan to do a bit of Personal Training/have 3 big dogs etc and don't want a ute really.

I walked past a 2004 LX8 adventra and it had 48,500 k's which seemed very low and otherwise looked in very good condition bar a little car park incident ($300 or so of damage).

The dealership (AFS) was asking a crazy price - listed at $29990, after much haggling i think they moved to $25K. I still think this is well overpriced..I left telling them not interested.

Quick call back and they had dropped finance payments from $520/month to about $350 including LPG conversion.

It's good car, drives very well and in great condition for age BUT.....

Don't know the model real well so not sure of any nasty issues?
Not sure what the price would be for a good deal?
What is generally better - older car with well below ave k's or newer model? does it matter?

Any help appreciated as I do like it but tend to be a little impuslive with car purchases - witness the mitsubishi 380 :)

muneey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
just make sure that the lpg conversion is a "vapor sequentual setup" and not a cheap n nasty venturi old skool mixer setup..the latter is infact illegal as it doesnt comply with emissions

fragmoider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII One Tonner
Good point..I asked them about that and the dude said he had no idea what goes on them but I assume that they couldn't sell something modified illegally?

It's a big assumption since it's a car dealer I know however they wouldn't want to get investigated I assume?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
they can in deed because its not them selling the item, its whoever their sending the car too. As long as they get it cheap enough and get your sale they dont care.

All the salesman says is "I sent it to this LPG mob and they did the install, I know nothing else la la la laa laa la la"

I know a dealership who used to install "genuine sunroofs" and "genuine sat navs" on brand new cars ... except they werent genuine, they were aftermarket from a 3rd party supplier/installer at a far cheaper price then genuine. Was always fun telling the customer the vehicle manufacturer doesnt care because the parts not one of theirs when something went wrong! I cant count the number of times I heard "but the Salesman said he was having a genuine one installed ..."

fragmoider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII One Tonner
Duly noted...will check before anything.

As far as this goes can the old style system be fitted anyway due to fuel injection etc?

Just so I understand Is the old system bad/troublesome etc?

muneey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
no i dont think so..with the vz, the lpg HAS to be injection..dont settle for anything else..if anything, get it confirmed in writing..i would hate to think what a modern v8 would drive like on a venturi mixer setup..youre not in western sydney by any chance? as i know a dealership who promises free lpg conversions on their cars

fragmoider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII One Tonner
Yeah I am in western sydney but it certainly wasn't free "car city" or something..no idea? actually I think the model is VYII but I would assume (there we go again) that the diffs between the vz/vyII adventra would be minimal? The dealer was Aus fleet Sales.

fragmoider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII One Tonner
Bah..can't find any info and too many unknowns with this so looks like I'll be motoring along with the 380 for now.

muneey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
yeah i was thinking of car city..but hey if you can get them to do an injected gas setup, you will be thankfull as it would be real cheap to run, compared to running it on petrol..ive heard they are guzzlers being heavy and 4wd

jimmy19650

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
For what it is worth, I just bought a VZ LX8 Adventra, first thing I did was fit a JTG liquid injection Gas unit to it. There was some initial problems with the computer, but after everything was sorted, car goes extremely well. Better performance on gas, gets about 320kms on 45 litres of gas on a highway. Overall, the car is awsome. the only problem is the small gas tank, which is fitted where the spare wheel goes. They give you a can of tire repair in place of the spare wheel. if you have road service, no spare is no problem. on long trips, i take a space saver.

The car has heaps of room, super comfortable, good economy on gas, heaps of power, great tow vehicle, not bad off road (love to watch peoples faces when I drive past them on the beach).

Buy it