Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with Air Con Controls (HVAC)

Nixa420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore
Hey guys, recently I've decided to put my interior back to stock color. The only problem is I've lost some of the globes for my air con control. I went to u pull it to try find some gloves but all the units are different. Mines from a VX so I can't pull the front facing off like you can with VT's and some VX's. Since I can't find the globes, I'm thinking about changing the whole unit to a different one (probably from a Vt or something (saves me putting in the globes.

Long story short, the only problem I'm have having is removing the vent pipes from the switch. I've been told by a few mates you can't unplug it. Can someone clarify me and let me know if I can or not. Also is there other ways of changing it without losing your gas?

Thanks

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
You can unplug the controls without loosing the gas and you can unplug the vac lines from the panel. Whoever told you otherwise is talking out of their ass.

I've don't it myself in my VX as the panel itself was damaged. Just remove the dash facia. There are 3 screws around the panel, remove them. Then in plug the ac switch/demist button and fan speed looms.

Unclip the heater rod but mark the spot on the rod with something before you do so you can re-align it with the clip on the hot cold dial. Then carefully remove the vacuum hoses from the back of the vent selector making sure that none of them come loose. It comes apart as one piece (all the hoses are connected to a single rubber diaphragm thing) and it will only go back on one way.

Re assembly is in the reverse but check to see it's all working before you put the dash back together.

Also confirm the panel you get will work with your vx. There are two different types.

Nixa420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore
The main thing I was worried is the vac lines for the vents.

So everything's all good to unplug, I won't lose anything and the controls and air con will work normal if I unplug the vac lines from the switch/panel

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
The vacuum lines on the vent selector all come off in one piece.
There are no A/C pipes at all at the selector panel.
The only thing to do with the A/C on the panel, is the on/off switch.
There are two electrical connection plugs at the back of the selector panel.
One for the Air con/Rear window heater/Illumination.....and one for the Blower Fan speed selector.