Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help with an exhaust straight pipe vs rear resonator?

bruzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7
hi guys, well its about time but i'm finally gonna fit an exhaust to my gen3 wh this weekend, the only question i have is this. i'm looking at getting a redback twin 2 1/2 system, the only question i wanna ask is should i go the straight pipe or get the system with the rear resonator? i have been told the straight pipe will be loud, but not a good loud. and the rear resonator will not be as loud but will sound good. also what are the power gain differences between the 2?

thanx heaps
paul

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
I have a red back twin system and went with the reso.
Sounds nice compared to the standard system, but from what i have heard, the red back system is a "quiet" system compared to others.
I like the sound of mine and it draws no attention from Jon Law.
Id imagine with the reso removed, it would crackle and carry on when backing off.
Sound at idle with no rear reso, can't comment as never heard one.
Power wise, i went backwards after my exhaust. The ecu does not respond well to mods. I lost **** loads of low to mid power, but gained a little up top.
I subsequently had a tune and now it flys!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
i wouldnt expect any change froma cheap catback setup such as redback. If you want true pickups go a full system from a reputable shop matched to a tune.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
i'm going diffilipo headers, with a twin 2.5 inch system with lukey cats and mufflers and straight thru pipes to the rear, and a good tune, so will b interesting to c what it sounds like.

VYSS346

Reaction score
Website
vhheaven.bravehost.com
Members Ride
VYSS 5.7 M6
Hey guys.. Ive have a mafless tune/ edit done.. and am running a higgins aluminium OTRCAI and twin 2.5 inch custom cat back system.. running only two 2.5 inch berklei hotdogs centre with no rear ressies.. only two 3 inch stainless tips.. couldnt be happier with the sound and go! here's couple of vid clips to get an idea on note!.. running stock vyss exhaust manifolds and cats.. atm..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f7Go6cxdDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYvcC5i38T0

oh and turn up the Volume and bass!! or get some decent bassy heaphones :D

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
my opinion go twin 2.5 inch, with twin hotdogs under the car, and then a resi on the back, nice note, and no drone.

VCOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX EXECUTIVE S2
I took off the rear resonator setup and fitted straight thru pipes. Sounds awesome! All for less than $100!

-UNKNOWN-

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VR S2 BT1 5 Speed, N13 Pulsar Vector
Hey guys.. Ive have a mafless tune/ edit done.. and am running a higgins aluminium OTRCAI and twin 2.5 inch custom cat back system.. running only two 2.5 inch berklei hotdogs centre with no rear ressies.. only two 3 inch stainless tips.. couldnt be happier with the sound and go! here's couple of vid clips to get an idea on note!.. running stock vyss exhaust manifolds and cats.. atm..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f7Go6cxdDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYvcC5i38T0

oh and turn up the Volume and bass!! or get some decent bassy heaphones :D

Do ^^this^^ sounds tough as. Mate next door has similar setup on his VX SS and I love it!

L

lukey308

Vz Ss Thunder Exhaust

hi guys i will be picking up my new VZ SS II THUNDER UTE on wednesday and i will be putting it straight in for an exhaust. my thoughts are as follows:

TWIN SYSTEM
pacemarker headers
into hi-flow cats
into lukey ultra flow mufflers
straight out the back
(All in 2 1/2 inch pipe)

Does anyone have any ideas on this, some feed back would be great.

I love the sound of the lukey exhausts and want it loud, but when you drive it carefully the cops will just let it pass, if you know what i mean. Now i had a v6 with a lukey cat back system which i removed the resinator and it made it sound so much louder and better, i lost a bit of bvack pressure but it didn't fase me. has anyone got and example of a resinator on and off on a 6.0L please.

Thanks for ya help :)

VYSS346

Reaction score
Website
vhheaven.bravehost.com
Members Ride
VYSS 5.7 M6
Update for me.. i decided on performance over all out noise.. have sold the system that was on hotdogs only in centre.. and went with straight bolt on cat back twin 2.5 inch Difilipo system..

Things I've noticed thus far besides this new system being alot quiter with a rear straight through res and two straight through centre difilipo mufflers.. is i have picked up more mid and bottom end torque! have had a new mafless tune done on the road.. and had it suited to my higgins otr and the new cat back.. certainly goes harder again :) and the power delivery is oh so smooth!