Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help with code 46

waztted

Reaction score
Members Ride
vcxs2
my vx commo is having some dramas at the moment. it wont start.
its pulling a code 46

Code 46 - No Reference Signal While Cranking

ive tried changing this sensor. i assume its the crank one.. is there another sensor i should be checking.
sensor.jpg

plz help i need this car going asap so i can get 2 work

battery is fully charged, ive tried resetting the codes. but 46 keeps popping up.

what elese can i try?:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
That one looks like the cam angle sensor, the crank sensor is hidden behind the harmonic balancer on the passenger side of engine. The cable can just be seen at the top of the balancer going down to it. The balancer has to come off to replace it.

waztted

Reaction score
Members Ride
vcxs2
ah ok that makes sence is there a commodore service manual somewhere on the internet that i can download?? are they any tricks to removing the harmonic ballancer?

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
The Treoublehsooting for Code 46
Crank Angle Reference signal.
when code 46 is active, it will prevent the engine from starting, if the engine starts it indicated that the code is intermittent.
Check for loose or dirty connections at Crank Angle Sensor and ECU Terminl D12
1. Ensure the ignition is off and disconnect the ECU wiring connectors.
2. Check the Voltage of the Ecu connector terminal D12 with ignition on.
3.If the voltage is not between 9.5 volts check the wiring between the ECU terminal D12 and the DFI Module for Continuity and shorts to earth. if no fault is found in wiring the DFI Module.
4. Repeat step two while cranking the engine. if the voltage is not 2-3 volts renew the DFI Module.
5. if the voltage is 2-3 volts check for a loose connection at ECU terminal D12.
If no fault can be found and the code remains Renew the ECU.

To remove your harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) you will need a rattle gun electric or air, with a 17MM attachment i think not to sure on that, a harmonic balancer puller (25 bucks from autobarn)
1. undo mounting bolts on your Radiator, support your radiator up enough with anything you can just enough to fit the rattle gun in to undo the harmonic balancer,.
2.remove serpentine belt keeping note of the way it fits the pulleys. take a photo for extra clarification.
3. fasten the harmonic balancer puller to the harmonic balancer., making sure that the retaining bolts are secure, then rotate the centre bolt to remove the harmonic balancer puller.take note of the position of the woodruff key.
5.when reattaching do the reverse making sure that the woodruff key is exactly the same spot otherwise you will end up with broken valves (not pretty).
6. fasten the harmonic balancer pulley with the rattle gun.
7.. re attach serpentine belt and lower the radiator back into position making sure that the radiator mounting bolts are done up to specified torque.

****IMPORTANT MAKE SURE THAT YOU TIGHTEN THE HARMONIC BALANCER TO 270 NEWTON METERS OF TORQUE OR TERMINAL DAMAGE^ WILL HAPPEN*****

^ terminal damage will mean that your engine will end up with a cracked crankshaft and severe damage to your harmonic balancer and other engine components.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
The balancer bolt is a right hand thread, if you don't have a 'rattle gun' the bolt can be removed using an long extension on the socket bar. If you have an manual gearbox, put in top gear and apply the hand brake to stop the crank from turning. If its an auto, a simple holding bar can be made to hold the balancer from turning. A sketch is in the work shop manual for this bar, which uses two of the pulley slots to stop it from turning.

waztted

Reaction score
Members Ride
vcxs2
thanks for the info fellas.

i haev a rattle gun so should be easy..

whats the going rate for a new oem CAS??

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the info fellas.

i haev a rattle gun so should be easy..

whats the going rate for a new oem CAS??

i think it would be around the 90 buck mark atleast because oxygen sensors are about 140 each i think.

not to sure about parts i would give just commodores spares a call, they only have adelaide offices though i think. not sure but i would give em a call and then your local holden dealer then your auto parts store, i shopped around and it worked out for me i went to my auto parts store

waztted

Reaction score
Members Ride
vcxs2
i couldnt get the dam crank pulley off today even with my rattle gun. and yes i know its a reverse thread ...

i did wiggle the plugs around. and now it seems the code 46 has dissapeared.
the car still wont start tho.

it appears it has NO spark at all. does the cas controll spark?

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
i couldnt get the dam crank pulley off today even with my rattle gun. and yes i know its a reverse thread ...

i did wiggle the plugs around. and now it seems the code 46 has dissapeared.
the car still wont start tho.

it appears it has NO spark at all. does the cas controll spark?

Code 46 seans to be consistant then refer to PM for more info.
but ask around, ask a few mechanics for thier opinions.