Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with diagnosing VY ecotec with XDL log

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
Hi Guys,

I recently got a second hand 190km vy ecotec motor installed by a wreckers as my old one developed a nasty rod knock. As soon as i drove it under the slightest load the check engine came on the dash. Took it back and they had a look at it, plugged it into tech 2 and said knock sensors, they changed them over and it was still showing check engine under the first acceleration. Turns out the engine is pinging/knocking and they blamed it on bad fuel in my car (even though i just filled the tank with caltex 91 the night before and my previous engine never showed any errors driving 40km with that same tank of fuel). So now I am trying to figure out the problem myself as they seem unwilling/unable to help. Using an ALDL cable and tunerpro there are no DTCs coming up even though everytime I drive it I get check engine on the dash after 30 seconds of driving (I know the check engine comes on while logging due to lack of communication with BCM, but it happens without cable plugged in) I took it for a short drive and logged the data. With my limited experience i can't seem to find any issues with the logs, O2 sensors seem to be working fine (varying up and down voltage) the short term fuel trim seems to go a bit high in either direction, knocks don't seem to be detected in the DTC (even though I have heard the engine pinging and check engine comes on). Can someone with a bit more experience check out the log and see if anything stands out? I have put new spark plugs in and checked all connections/vacumm hoses and nothing seems out of ordinary. Old spark plugs seemed grey but nothing burnt/white. The MAF sensor is still my old one which was working fine, I think O2 sensors are still my old ones which had no issue.

Thanks!

Attachments

• test 3.zip
    37.8 KB · Views: 214

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Haven't read the log, but did you at least check that the plugs were the right ones and that they were gapped properly? Other thing that springs to mind is possibly fuel starvation.

Do you still have the old engine?

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
Unfortunately no don't still have old engine, yes plugs were correct according to ngk catalogue and gapped correctly. Could dodgy fuel pressure reg cause fuel starvation? or that only causes rich condition when the diaphragm bursts?