Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with lowering car!

natesVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
hello,

I wish to have my car lowered and all, what would should I do. I have no clue what to consider or anything! Any help appreciated!

- Car: 05 VZ executive Auto

Thanks in advance!

britsvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6 Turismo Blue
All depeneds how low you want it, also what size rims you have etc. can affect what you might go for. Theres a fair few forums on here regarding what springs get etc, just do a search and you should be able to get the answers you want :)

natesVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
All depeneds how low you want it, also what size rims you have etc. can affect what you might go for. Theres a fair few forums on here regarding what springs get etc, just do a search and you should be able to get the answers you want :)

I currently have stocks so 15 inch hubs but im not sure about wheel size, but I am looking at getting 20 inch VE rims in the future so that is what I would lower my car to fit. Thanks ill look into the springs throughout the forums :)

britsvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6 Turismo Blue
I currently have stocks so 15 inch hubs but im not sure about wheel size, but I am looking at getting 20 inch VE rims in the future so that is what I would lower my car to fit. Thanks ill look into the springs throughout the forums :)

No worries. And I'd suggest looking into rolling your guards especially when putting the ve rims on. I rolled my rears just to play it safe and haven't had any troubles.

natesVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
No worries. And I'd suggest looking into rolling your guards especially when putting the ve rims on. I rolled my rears just to play it safe and haven't had any troubles.

Yeah, i have heard that rolling is a good idea so the tyres don't rub, thanks!

rowe147

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
if you have big plans get the whole thing done springs, shockers and bushes done or coil over suspension is a good set up because the shocks and ride height are adjustable

or if u want to go the cheap way witch will most likely ruin your shocks in no time and wreck your bushes, king springs it all depends on how much u want to spend

natesVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
if you have big plans get the whole thing done springs, shockers and bushes done or coil over suspension is a good set up because the shocks and ride height are adjustable

or if u want to go the cheap way witch will most likely ruin your shocks in no time and wreck your bushes, king springs it all depends on how much u want to spend

When i do it i am definately willing to pay to get it done properly, what would be a good setup/price?

and also would it be worth my time lowering it before i get my new wheels/rims (currently on stockies)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you wanted a decent quality setup without going to coilovers ( which you don't need on the street and most are uncomfortable )

Shocks between $400 for Boge,KYB to $1000 for Bilstein or Koni
Springs 300 - 600 if you want to get fancy
New Urethane Bushes - depends how far and how hard you want to go ..... $200-800

Plus labour, wheel alignment, mechanics "Markup on parts" etc $1000 ? So you are looking at 2grand up for a DECENT suspension package.

natesVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
If you wanted a decent quality setup without going to coilovers ( which you don't need on the street and most are uncomfortable )

Shocks between $400 for Boge,KYB to $1000 for Bilstein or Koni
Springs 300 - 600 if you want to get fancy
New Urethane Bushes - depends how far and how hard you want to go ..... $200-800

Plus labour, wheel alignment, mechanics "Markup on parts" etc $1000 ? So you are looking at 2grand up for a DECENT suspension package.

Hmmm, okay thanks! what would be a more specific setup for lowering my car if it had 19inch rims on it?
The ride im looking for is a hard sports ride, but not terribly hard that i feel every single lil bump in the road :)

Thanks in advance!

vxs93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX s-pac manual
hey Nate i just had my vx lowered about a month ago at pedders suspension. i got new springs, rear shocks and some polyurethane bushes put in. pedders charged me $760 including a wheel alignment but i supplied the bushes which cost me $200 from bursons, so i paid nearly $1000 all up. the handling is much better now and steering feel way more responsive. overall i was happy with the service pedders gave me however they didnt make my car sit as low as i wanted it to, when i asked them to lower it i just said lowest legal and expected it to sit really low. when i saw my car after getting it lowered i asked the guy if he was sure it was at lowest legal height and he kept telling me it was and that if they lowered it further it would be unroadworthy. The car dropped a little in height a couple of days after due to the springs wearing in and the car now sits at a nice height but i still want it lower lol.

anyways the point of me telling you this is to learn from my mistake and hopefully help you out so you aren't disappointed like i was. if you decide to get your car lowered at a workshop (i wouldn't recommend doing it yourself) make sure you take them outside and show them how low you want your car to sit. i would also recommend changing the shocks at the same time as the ride quality will be poor if you don't which i learnt the hard way. for shocks i would recommend the bilstein b8's, these are very good shocks but are also very expensive at around $500 for 2 rear shocks and $700 for 2 fronts, you can contact GSL rallysport on the forum about these. one of my mates has these in a lowered vx calais and it handles extremely well and the ride quality is excellent, well worth it i would say.

your looking at around $2k to get your car lowered and get the bilstein b8's. i would also recommend getting some of the bushes changed to polyurethane ones as it will improve handling, you can just ask your local suspension shop about which bushes to replace, they will surely know. the bushes will be and extra $200 or so, superpro or nolathane are both good brands.

i know this is a lot of money but it is worth spending on suspension mods which are often overlooked and will make a massive improvement on the cars performance as opposed to engine mods such as a full exhaust system and other bolt ons which wont really offer too much of an increase in performance or value for money.