Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with my springs

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I have Standard lows in my car, which i had fitted a few months ago, and even though it's settled now, it looks even a little higher, than what it was when it was sitting on it's original 18 year old springs ( which were most likely sagging).... So i've decided to just cut a small amount off each coil. Yes i know it's illeagal and somewhat dangerous, but i'm not going stupid with, merely bringing it down an inch or so... maybe two:thumbsup: When i jacked the rear up all the way, the springs just fell out, is this normal.. I know if you have like ultra lows in there they will drop out, but these are only roughly an inch shorter than the standrard ones...Would i need an adj pan rod if i'm only going an inch or so lower.. Dropped back down without the springs in, its about a full inch i reckon over to the passenger side...What's the correct defenition for the bubber boot things'y that mount with the springs? They seem pretty worn so i would like to put new ones in, but don't know what part to order as i need to phone up and order from Repco, or wherever, as the car is off the road..Thanks for any help guys:thumbsup:
oh yeah live axle too-

VT Berlina 07

15.37 @ 147 KPH
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 EF2 Futura I6 Auto
dont bother asking for help when your going to do stupid stuff like that. DO NOT CUT SPRINGS, they are dangerous and its illegal. for the price of 2 springs is it worth risking insurance? lifes? your car? use your brain. THEY FELL OUT BECAUSE YOUR SHOCKS ARE TOO SHORT.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Sorry if i offended you mate, and my shocks arent too short, there standard monroe GT gas shockies.. And i'm not cutting standard springs, i'm taking a coil off a heavy duty spring, once in the car, they are no worse than buying an ultra low and putting that in, or a superlow, and people use them without any thought to their insurance- So don't have a dig at me, if you don't wanna help me then fine.You don't see me havin a go at you about your 5% tint, which is also illeagal, and yeah, i have the same, although after i had it fitted he mentioned something about a manafactuer that makes 2% tint:D ? I dont think i'm being that stupid about it, by slighty shortening a heavy duty spring, replacing rubber boots, and even fitting an adjustable panhard rod.:driving:

Last edited:

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
You still can't take of a coil or 2 of even thick coil springs here's why.
When (And learn from my experience) you take of a few coils the top of the springs is no longer flat and you will notice from looking at a spring whatever it is it's thicker at each end.

When you take one of those away And lower the car it is only sitting down on the tip of a single coil which is what causes the bouncy ride.

When you crash your car the insurance company has no obligation to pay you because of this.

Read this Question 55 A.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/5C946861-35D8-42CF-A1A6-BA00F3D3A104/0/VSI20.pdf

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
i should say you car is sitting higher because the springs arent 15years old. Your old one would have settled and then sagged another inch or so over the years.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
And i'm not cutting standard springs, i'm taking a coil off a heavy duty spring, once in the car, they are no worse than buying an ultra low and putting that in, or a superlow, and people use them without any thought to their insurance

No difference. You're still cutting springs. And, it is still much worse than buying springs that were MANUFACTURED to be that low. Each spring is manufactured with a different amount of travel, when you cut it, you take that travel away.

Put on your flame suit...

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
yeah mate i know , (Takes a few minutes out to suit up lol) Like i was saying, i'm actually trying to go around it with a bit of sense..

somerandom

Reaction score
I cut my rear springs in half, although it was using the springs, it was that rough that it felt like it had none, every bump, every stone you could feel and people could see your car bounce all over the place. the reason your springs fall out are because your shocks are too tall? get shortened shocks.

In terms of safety, from my experience, its all a crock, my cut springs came out the same way they went in, no depreciation of the springs from cutting(no splicing etc.)

I have put superlows in my car recently(after 12months) of rough riding, and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner!! all I got was complaints because my car was breaking backs :p

if you want low ride, just throw in some ultra low, do it properly imo :)

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
maybe get the springs you have compressed. that way its still legal.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Yeah i rang around about compressing them, cheapest i found was about 80 bucks a set, from memory. So yeah i might ring around a bit more, and see how i go. Only reason i'm being a chepskate about it , it cause i brought the springs not that long ago, and i really thought they would sit a bit lower.