Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with new purchase - (MY08.05 Calais V Intl 3.6L)

mikey_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International (MY08.05)
Hi folks,

I am hoping for you help.

I have just purchased 2007 (MY08.5) Calais V International with 195km on the odo. It drives smooth and i'm surprised at how well it handles for its age and distance travelled. It appears to be serviced, has logbook, although it's missed two or three services in its life and two which have been stretched to 20 - 25k / 18mth - not a death sentence I imagine. Exterior is as new, interior shows a bit of wear but still quite good. Problem with the service log is you just get the stub which doesn't tell you what work was carried out - you just the date and klm so i kind of think to assume nothing and want to take good care of her.

I'm hoping for some help and tips on what are the must do, thoughts so far:
- Oil change and oil filter using synthetic, air filter and coolant flush (no brainer)
- Transmission fluid change with filter. This one I am wondering if it could do damage. Is there a best way to approach this? ie; check the status before doing a full flush and based on the condition (say it hasn't had one) use a thicker fluid (or even leave it) to prevent internal leaking?
- Diff oil change (is this really needed and what's the best oil?)
- Power steering flush (is there a way to check if it's needed?)
- Brake fluid (I will leave this to the mechanic at next pad change)
- Will new shocks make any real difference? It handles very well, no clunks and the interior doesn't rattle)
- The drivers power window button is flimsy on the up function (can i replace this myself)?
- The engine temperature cluster light doesn't work. The odo, tacho and fuel light up bright (how would i replace this or should i leave this to the pro's).

Any other tips or things i should consider???
Appreciate this is a long post and thanks for any help!

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
I'd do Oil and filter every 7500km, trans and diff is recommended by holden at 150k so if not done do them, power steering fluid is a good 1 to replace as is often over looked and simple to do. Brake fluid every 2 yrs. If still the original shocks in the car certainly recommend replacing them as they will be worn out at those many km's. Power window switches just remove the dash trim it clips into to be able to replace it. Temp gauge may be a sensor fault so new sensor or cluster

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Hi folks,

I am hoping for you help.

I have just purchased 2007 (MY08.5) Calais V International with 195km on the odo. It drives smooth and i'm surprised at how well it handles for its age and distance travelled. It appears to be serviced, has logbook, although it's missed two or three services in its life and two which have been stretched to 20 - 25k / 18mth - not a death sentence I imagine. Exterior is as new, interior shows a bit of wear but still quite good. Problem with the service log is you just get the stub which doesn't tell you what work was carried out - you just the date and klm so i kind of think to assume nothing and want to take good care of her.

I'm hoping for some help and tips on what are the must do, thoughts so far:
- Oil change and oil filter using synthetic, air filter and coolant flush (no brainer)
- Transmission fluid change with filter. This one I am wondering if it could do damage. Is there a best way to approach this? ie; check the status before doing a full flush and based on the condition (say it hasn't had one) use a thicker fluid (or even leave it) to prevent internal leaking?
- Diff oil change (is this really needed and what's the best oil?)
- Power steering flush (is there a way to check if it's needed?)
- Brake fluid (I will leave this to the mechanic at next pad change)
- Will new shocks make any real difference? It handles very well, no clunks and the interior doesn't rattle)
- The drivers power window button is flimsy on the up function (can i replace this myself)?
- The engine temperature cluster light doesn't work. The odo, tacho and fuel light up bright (how would i replace this or should i leave this to the pro's).

Any other tips or things i should consider???
Appreciate this is a long post and thanks for any help!
Most dash stuff on the Ve is reasonably simple to do as you dont need to be a rocket scientist to do it like change the 4 window + mirrors button assembly. For you I would recommend to do a youtube on what you want to do as I have learnt lots on this site from members here ++++++ Youtube video's.

They are a few videos how to change that switch + other to rip the dash apart. Watch the Video's a few time, also do you have a set of cheap ebay trim tools. I bought my one locally but most are from China and they are cheap a MUST to have them.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12Pcs-C...588542&hash=item2122206a91:g:vW8AAOSwol5YwOvh

nr210469

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais my10
VE Calais no power to mirror controller was wondering if there was
a fuse or relay supplying the mirror buttons any help please?????

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I would do an engine flush, though many would say not to, just the same.
• Engine Oil: Use 5W-30 Full Synthetic.
• Diff Oil - Yes change it. It's a quick easy job. (It stinks though)
• Transmission oil change, I'd get a flush done, rather than a change.
• Replace the cabin filter.
• Power steering flush, Yes, Do it.
• Brake fluid flush a great idea. (Pads last a long time. Ours lasted something like 10 years.)
• Replacing the cluster is easy, though needs someone to reflash it and VIN match it your car. (EnvyousCustoms.com)
Cluster lights are LED, they can be repaired, there's a place here in Perth (Wangara) that does it.
https://www.speedlineinstruments.com

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Everyone has their own opinion on these but really you can't go wrong servicing everything. All of it. Start at the front and work to the back. I use either Penrite or Nulon Red Concentrate for the coolant. I love Nulon Full synthetic multi vehicle transmission fluid in the power steering it's amazing. It's also great in the 4 speed auto but I can't comment on the 5 or six speed that's a whole different kettle of fish. I'd pull the pan off and change the filter because the last guy might have been too lazy like a shop I know.
Suggest getting a complete service and filter kit online. You won't beat the price at a shop. I won't use 5w30 in mine, our summer temperatures are too close to the top limit for such thin oil. I'm convinced they should have spec'd 5w40 in them in Australia. It runs like a dream. I've been using it for more than 120,000 ks in mine and it runs like it's brand new with about 280,000 on it now. Synpower is my pick but there's also HPR5, Nulon or edge 5w40.
Diff oil is easy with good tools. Penrite SYNTHETIC GL5 is the stuff most use. If you have the LSD check if it needs anything else. Brake fluid, if you have the skills do that too. Put a litre through it so you know it's done properly.
Your radiator might blow up some time in the next few years but **** happens. Keep your eyes on the engine front and back for pink stains from coolant leaks.