Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with Reco gearbox and such..

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
Hey i know gearboxes have been covered several times and ive read up on many, but i was wondering if anyone knows

1. A good place in perth to go to get a reconditioned gearbox (cos i dont wana get ripped off or a dodgy job)

2. if anyone knows if there is a better gearbox i can get other than the stock one... because by the sounds of it they arent the best gearboxes and break fairly easily

cheers in advance for any help
:)

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
my mech can get good ones with a warenty. $2200 including fitting. i was thinkin bout it...manual conversion wouldnt b that much more expensive.

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
really... sounds pretty expensive.. but if hes gona do a good job i guess its worth it, is it just the 4L60E? but arent manual conversions like $2500? i really dont know what to do, cos id prefer manual of course..

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
myns a VS so i mite b differnt?? um yeh manual is probly only an extra $500 and they are more fun. msg me if ya want more info and il giv u this guys number.

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
cheers i might just do that :yeah: thanx for the help

if ne1 knows if i can get a better more reliable gearbox thats not gona die so easy information is welcomed... but i suppose u need the gearbox suited for the car

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
k, his number is 0411734905. and for anyone else in perth who wants a gr8 mech giv him a ring. he used to work for BMW and PORCHE befor starting his own buiness. best mech going if you ask me. oh his names shaun btw. giv him a ring and im sure he can sort u out.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Mine has a GMH reco'd tranny, and it's a total POS, soon to fall apart.

Repco is more expensive (around here) than most other repairers, best to find a good repairer by word of mouth, one that is known for doing a good job, there are many to be found in every city, once found it's a matter of price and warranty.