Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with recruitment angency.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hi all as the title suggests I need help locating a recruitment angency. I'm looking at switching from light automotive to heavy plant fitter. So working on machinery in the mines pretty much.
If anyone has any ideas about which agency to use I would kindly appreciate the help. I've heard Hays ect are not very good so looking for a smaller more industry pacific agency.

Thanks.
Shane.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
If you can avoid employment agencies do so. Those who work for the company directly are paid considerably more. The iron ore companies would be a better bet than the coal miners as coal is to a certain extent going out of fashion. Also with employment companies your future is less secure. It is more common for them to ring you at night and tell you they have no more work for you. They seem to think that you will start nicking the companies gear before you leave.

Another thing to consider is unless you have a fifo job you will still have to have another place of residency nearby. It is not uncommon to be working either five and four and four and five or seven and seven.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Agree with keith, avoid agencies altogether as far as possible.
One place worth looking is the big mining company websites and wherever they advertise such as seek. Most company websites have a career section. Send your resume to as many as possible if you really want to go there.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Kieth is correct avoid agenceys like skilled engineeering like the plague it's great when the bloke your working next to a real company worker and you're a blow in, is getting $10 an hour more than you. What happen to me many times.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Could also look at the mining contractors and perhaps BHP Operational Services (essentially their own inhouse labour hire). Coal isn't fashionable right now (whether thermal or coking) however I have never been busier due to expansions and production ramp ups. Adani has kicked off, Olive Downs is about to commence and the BHP pits are marching along just fine.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
There is, and has been for some time, a shortage of people to fill these roles but remember that miners and such will want already qualified, experienced people.

One business here in WA resorted to running a "top tech" style competition with heavy advertising on the radio etc which they used as a way to identify good talent and poach them from their current employers.

Another option is to get in touch with the businesses that service and repair these machines.....dealers and such with their own workshops to get a foot in the door.

Also, employment agencies (Hayes etc) are different to labour hire firms (Skilled etc). Either way, I don't trust them.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Okay good info thanks guys.
My dilemma is I need 2 years to retrain as an apprentice I need to find a business willing to hire me as an apprentice for two years.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Try BHP, they take on apprentices.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Okay good info thanks guys.
My dilemma is I need 2 years to retrain as an apprentice I need to find a business willing to hire me as an apprentice for two years.
I thought you were a qualified mech, no, still an apprentice?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I thought you were a qualified mech, no, still an apprentice?
I'm qualified in light auto. At tafe light auto, auto elec, motor bike and heavy diesel all do the same 1st year. Then from there we all diverge into our specific parts of the industry.
So to get my trade cert in heavy I'll need to do Tafe again.