Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with replacing Factory Headunit in Commodore SV6 VZ 2006

heyyo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6 2006
Hello,

I am new on these forums as I have just purchased a Holden Commodore VZ SV6 2006 recently and absolutely love the car. The only problem for me is... I hate the factory headunit. Just the fact that there is no AUX port makes me very sad :( :(
Now I have a number of questions,

Firstly, can I replace the headunit with a double din or even single din whilst maintaining the factory look or atleast a finished professional look in the end?
If so, then how much would it cost and what type of headunit should I get?? All I ask for is a front AUX port and possibly USB or ipod connectivity.
And another thing is, is there anyway to still have the factory steering wheel controls?? As I would like to be able to have this option aswell. Thanks and please advise me :)

P.s yes I've tried a FM transmitter but I would still rather just replace the thing.

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
Yes the factory headunit can be quite easily replaced, I think for the vy vz a double din unit looks the best. You can buy fascia plates which clip into the existing place and do look very professional. I installed a pioneer DD 7inch with the tempest fascia and it looks awesome! Steering wheel controls can also be used if you buy the right bits.

The steering wheel controls + female plugs can be bought for $100 or so
The fascia for 30-40
And the unit can be anywhere from 400- 1000 or more depending in what you want

heyyo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6 2006
Thank you very much for the reply. I think I will have to go with the single din option because only double din's I would want are ones with screens but they're quite expensive I suppose.
Can you please link me perhaps a thread or post telling me about steering wheel controls?? And if any single dins have the ability to be used with them?

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
Well I know the brand 'aeropro' sell a combination Steering wheel control and factory to aftermarket plug, but depending on what brand and model single din unit you go for it should tell you on it what adapters to use and if the steering controls are compatible. Your best bet is to go to a car audio store or jb hifi and have a chat about your options, what options you have all depend on dollars and cents