Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with solar materials???

wagon_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon 3.8 Manual
I can vouch for the NHP isolator, it does the job well. i spent about a year installing solar for a couple of companies using pretty much every switching option and the NHP ones were pretty much the best.
As for panels, I would go chinese over german. They are all pretty similar in build quality from my experience. I put alot of expensive conergy german made panels up, but the difference between them and the chinese ones was negligable.
As for inverters, i preffered SMA, but dont really know anything about the prices on them, i would just stay away from eaton. I would estimate about every second one we put up had to be returned at one point

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
okay thanks well these noark ones have dropped in price i have done a bit of reseasrch between them and nhp and cant find any significant difference at all so i might just get them
and ive got all the other materials rippen50 + your too far away also haha but cheers

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
just a timely friendly reminder, it is against the law for a licensed electrician to provide any advice on installation procedures or processes, they can how ever recommend a product that you can purchase yourself. all work relating to a pv install should be carried out by a licensed electrician, in the case of the user above, you would be hard up buying the products yourself individually, good pv panels are expensive, same with inverters, look for a company that provides them.

rippen50

Braaap
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z UTE MY12.5
okay thanks well these noark ones have dropped in price i have done a bit of reseasrch between them and nhp and cant find any significant difference at all so i might just get them
and ive got all the other materials rippen50 + your too far away also haha but cheers

No worries mate, just keep in mind that the breakers are not as good as the isolators I'm currently doing over 300 warranties nsw wide on systems with them breakers!
Might be worth your while to add up the cost of it all and what a installer will charge if u supply the gear to just getting a company to install, the paperwork is a killer on these and it's more hassle than what it's worth, to save some hassle as well get them
To check out the location of the install as I turn up to 12 jobs a week and at least 4 a week get canned due to little things!
True value solar have a bad name but are actually a very good company to deal with once the installs done there only fault is there back log of installs you just have to keep on there case about it! Unfortunately due to you being in a different state I couldn't give you a price as we can't do work interstate, if you need any help feel free to pm me and ill answer any questions you may have

just a timely friendly reminder, it is against the law for a licensed electrician to provide any advice on installation procedures or processes, they can how ever recommend a product that you can purchase yourself. all work relating to a pv install should be carried out by a licensed electrician, in the case of the user above, you would be hard up buying the products yourself individually, good pv panels are expensive, same with inverters, look for a company that provides them.

Yes no doubt there. I would never advise a non cec accredited installer/designer on how to install a pv system

cracker

Reaction score

illegal? perhaps un ethical? wondering where you got that idea from? and if you have anything to back it up, not taking the piss im actually interested.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
illegal? perhaps un ethical? wondering where you got that idea from? and if you have anything to back it up, not taking the piss im actually interested.

im quite certain either in the wiring rules (as/nzs3000) or in the electrical safety act there is something that says only a licenced electrician can carry out the works.
(apprentice under supervision is classed as licenced for the record)

its not so much that its against the laws but implied it can be that you are instructing another person.
if said person manages to burn their house down from it then they could quite easily say "but so and so told me exactly how to do it"
and then blame can be put back on you.
so basically it can end up with a lot of trouble caused.

well that's how ive been taught and understand about it anyway (being an electricial apprentice)

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
im quite certain either in the wiring rules (as/nzs3000) or in the electrical safety act there is something that says only a licenced electrician can carry out the works.

its not so much that its against the laws but implied it can be that you are instructing another person.
if said person manages to burn their house down from it then they could quite easily say "but so and so told me exactly how to do it"

well that's how ive been taught and understand about it anyway (being an electricial apprentice)

without written proof they have nothing to pin you on...word of mouth is not a legal document therefore all the blasme will be soley on the unqualified installer just like the old saying "if he jumped off the bridge would you follow him"

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Whats the payback time on your PV panel setup and how much do you save with the way you're going about it, buying the panels and breakers yourself?

cracker

Reaction score

no doubt its illegal for someone to carry out works, but i dispute the fact its illegal for licensed electrician to give advice or even go as far as to completely tell someone how to carry out works.
as i said unethical without a doubt, illegal doubtful

nothing in the wiring rules is implied, it either is or isnt, its a legal document.