Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with solar materials???

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
no doubt its illegal for someone to carry out works, but i dispute the fact its illegal for licensed electrician to give advice or even go as far as to completely tell someone how to carry out works.
as i said unethical without a doubt, illegal doubtful

nothing in the wiring rules is implied, it either is or isnt, its a legal document.

yup its definitely illegal for someone to carry out works (its in the elec safety regs for the record)
sure it might not be illegal to give advice or tell someone how to do an entire install but its a very stupid idea.
still the case of someone burns down their house from not understanding your advice and they could turn onto you.
(obviously advice such as go out to your switchboard and see if anything has tripped is advice that isnt unethical for lack of better terms)

also to install solar its a separate course for the record so even a qualified electrician has a good chance of not knowing what to do.
ive seen first hand at school the different consequences if it isn't installed correctly, whether it be it will not produce electricity or not as much as it should

also I do very much so beg to differ on that "it is either or it isn't"
plenty of clauses (tbh I cannot be bothered finding them) that say you "should" do something.
also there are plenty of ways to understand the clauses and others that do contradict each other (depends on how you want to take it)

I wont go into it anymore
however, its quite a silly act to tell someone what to do (even if it isn't against the law)
especially with the potential consequences that can follow.

EDIT (for this top part):
when im next at school or see an inspector ill ask them their opinion on that as im sure they will know any reasons to then say it is definitely illegal

also
Whats the payback time on your PV panel setup and how much do you save with the way you're going about it, buying the panels and breakers yourself?

will all depend on size. how much you use it and everything else that goes with it.
one of my teachers had a setup installed professionally (didn't buy parts himself)
its set up in the best position it can be and all the other little fiddly bits are done to a high standard
uses power during offpeak times (ie dishwasher, washing machine and so forth)
has been about a year or so (from memory) and he is already making a profit on it. enough that it also pays his gas bills and still comes out on top.

also to the original poster.
before you jump into the deep end make sure you know all the standards that the items have to comply to.
also speak to the person who would be installing it and ask them what they would suggest for you to use.
if they know what they need they probably can get a good price on it and will know how everything has to hook up saving time (thus saving you money)

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I work for NHP as a sales rep and have some indepth training on our DC 1000v isolator and solar systems,
If you want some tech data just inbox me but honestly they are bloody good bits of kit..

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Just keep in mind with all off these warranties the majority of these companies will be gone well before 20 years comes around, plus you'll find that most of these warranties will require you to contact the manufacturer directly.

Typically german panels aren't that much chop above the chinese panels anymore - most of the "german" panels have the cells manufactured in Germany which are then shipped off to china/malaysia/rice-land where they're assembled into a panel. I know companies like MSR have some crazy glass on them that stops damage in salty coastal climates a bit better than normal. I have seen a fair few of the TrueValue Solar jobs where the panels are corroding from the inside out due to this.
Just make sure whatever panels you get they're on the CEC list.

Isolators - IMO do a good one, not too costly either. I've been using GEN3 20A breakers and WP enclosures and haven't had a problem yet - they're all complied in australia so there's no issues there.

Inverters - this is where it's tricky. SMA markets themselves as German - look on the side it says MADE IN CHINA. Delta markets German technology - MADE IN TAIWAN. Eltek, once again German tech MADE IN CHINA. Both SMA and Eltek are great in terms of warranty, stay away from brands like SAMIL and GROWATT - they are the arsehole of the solar world and you're buying nothing but trouble.

Just remember, if you do buy the parts yourself and then pay someone else to put them in and something goes wrong DO NOT act surprised when the electrician charges you to come out and look at it - you gave up the privilege of a free call back when you decided to save $8 and buy the gear yourself.

Good luck.

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Q cells are our supplier of PV panels, they are all derated at the 20 year mark and are guaranteed for the rated output right up to the 20 years.

There is a HUGE difference between the Chinese panels and the German ones so choose wisely