Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with suspension please.

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Hi everyone i'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I have an E3 GTS and noticed when putting air in the tyres just before that the right rear seems to be sitting a bit lower than the left rear. It isn't much but it seems less of my hand fit between the guard and the tyre on the right side compared with the left.
I plan on taking the rear wheels off for a look on the weekend and was hoping someone could point in the direction of what it might be and what i should be looking for with the wheels off?
If anyone has experienced something similar and can offer advice that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Added some pictures.
I know using my fingers is a crude way of measuring but the guard is squeezing my fingers in on the right side but there is clearance between the guard and my fingers on the left

Attachments

• Right rear .jpg
    Right rear .jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 198
  • Left rear.jpg
    Left rear.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Still factory suspension?
Maybe a spring has sagged slightly.

55ams

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6 sedan manual
So the Tyre pressure is the same?? the ground is basiclly flat and not on a hill or bump ??

sounds to me like your camber/toe/ rear wheel alignment is out

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
So the Tyre pressure is the same?? the ground is basiclly flat and not on a hill or bump ??

I put all the tytres to 38 psi and it still seemed like the rear right was a bit off and I'm pretty sure the ground was fairly flat.. not 100 percent sure but it wasn't on a bump or anything.
Will have look at home on the garage concrete that should be really flat.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Alignment settings have nothing to do with one side sitting lower than the other.

I suspect a spring would be sagged and it is difficult to check by eye

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Alignment settings have nothing to do with one side sitting lower than the other.

I suspect a spring would be sagged and it is difficult to check by eye

When i have the wheel off is there anything i should look for to confirm this?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Spring sag is something that is seen with the weight on the spring.....A spring is basically coiled tensile steel and when it weakens through age, or use it, tends to loose its strength....The way you see it loosing it's strength, is how you have seen....One corner sits lower than the other, when on a flat surface

The way I prove to people is by moving the offending spring to the opposite side of the car and show how the sag moves from side to side. But this is a costly exercise for those that want it done.

Another thought I had is, have you got things in the boot, which are over to the side of the car, causing it to be down on that corner?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

No, not really...
You could remove the springs, measure their free length, then measure them under an equal load, and check for differences.
But if you were to remove the springs, you might want to replace them with new ones.
How many kms on the GTS?

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Spring sag is something that is seen with the weight on the spring.....A spring is basically coiled tensile steel and when it weakens through age, or use it, tends to loose its strength....The way you see it loosing it's strength, is how you have seen....One corner sits lower than the other, when on a flat surface

The way I prove to people is by moving the offending spring to the opposite side of the car and show how the sag moves from side to side. But this is a costly exercise for those that want it done.

Another thought I had is, have you got things in the boot, which are over to the side of the car, causing it to be down on that corner?

Nah only a pillow, towel and a bag I the boot nothing heavy. I'm kinda hoping for a (semi) easy/ cheap fix you've got me worried:(