Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with tailshaft VK commodore

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes .. if you have a BW diff installed
No ... if you still have the original VC 6cyl 8Bolt Salsbury as the measurements would be different between flange and uni's

So may I ask what my diff has to do with the front half measurement the op requires, when you have already mentioned the front half of the tailshaft measurement doesn't change with a diff change?

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thread cleaned @Vin999 and @vc commodore go get a room somewhere and sort your **** out.

I'd love him to get into a room with me, but for some strange reason he won't name a time and place...

I would love to know, how he is able to ask a stupid question like he did and you still leave that stupid question in place? The question is his reply to me, where it has absolutely no relevance to where the op wants the measurement taken from

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
To reply to the op's question...I measured from the back of the gearbox to the base of the yoke, with the yoke in place and I get 25MM

I haven't driven the car since I had the tailshaft recoed, so I can't comment on whether there are any issues.

I also have a VH here...It's a 6cyl 4 speed....If you like, I can get a measurement with that too for you to compare....I do know with that car, there is no vibrations with the tailshaft....

Leave it upto you from there

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Exif-JPEG-420.jpg

thats a t5 under a vn that car is pretty much as it left the factory ,rooted thou. I could fit 2 fingers in the space between shaft and seal.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
2 fingers, interesting measurement :)

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
2 fingers, interesting measurement
approx 42mm , that car hasn't moved off that hoist in 2 years with the amount I junk I just squeezed past.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
approx 42mm , that car hasn't moved off that hoist in 2 years with the amount I junk I just squeezed past.
40mm is what machine shop has allowed when I had 3 tailshafts cut, modified, and balanced. machinist told me they have an amount that they need inserted in box which is more what they look at. different shops might have different min/max amounts required but 25mm would be to close/short for sure for holdens