Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help with tweeters

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
I have a question... im over my kicker tweeters at the moment they arent like tinny or crisp more of a "shhh" instead of a "tsss" if that makes any sense... I am looking for some tinny type crisp tweeters but would the problem be the crossovers or the tweeters themselves? Can anyone recommend?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
It will be the tweeter. Try looking for some that are silk domed. They are typically smoother in response.

The crossover can flavour the sound, it's usually subtle.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Ah ok no worries thanks for the help :)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
You can't just change over the tweeters, what happens if the sensitivity is a miss match then the sound will be all over the place. What amps have you got ? If you have 2 spare channels you can run the tweeters separate that way you can dial it in yourself that is the only way.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
I do have 2 spare at the moment but not for long. So you'd suggest new components?

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
And the amp is an mb quart onyx 60.4

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Amp is fine all i'm saying is if you run the components passive with the supplied crossover then you need to match the sensitivity of the midbass driver and tweeter otherwise one will be louder than the other the whole time. With 2 spare channels you can set the gains and you won't have the problem. I don't see any point in replacing the whole set if your happy with the midbass and there's nothing wrong with the crossovers.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Amp is fine all i'm saying is if you run the components passive with the supplied crossover then you need to match the sensitivity of the midbass driver and tweeter otherwise one will be louder than the other the whole time. With 2 spare channels you can set the gains and you won't have the problem. I don't see any point in replacing the whole set if your happy with the midbass and there's nothing wrong with the crossovers.

i wont have the second channel on the amp for long as will be used when i do my rears so for me its either get a new set of splits or new amp. so i guess i'll get a new set of splits with some better tweeters, can anyone recommend some decent crisp sounding splits? if anyone gets what i mean by crisp haha

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
If your amp is within 50-70watts per channel then you may be able to get away with using the headunits internal amplifier to drive the tweeters. Also, you will run in to the sensitivity issue regardless of where they are powered from... even seperately amped. Furthermore, tweeters are the hardest to gauge how they will sound in a car as every surface they reflect from will colour their sound.

Just remember... silk dome. Our if you want to go balls out and will need some power to drive them... ribbon tweeters

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
You do not run into sensitivity issues when the tweeters are run active as they are not sharing the same power via the passive crossover, so it makes no difference. No idea why you would suggest running the tweeters from the head unit regardless of how much power his amplifier puts out, what does 50-70 wpc have to do with anything?

You would toast the tweeters if you tried setting it up that way.