Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with VG brake line.

Fatfats

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Hi guys i have a rust hole in my VG utes brake line can i patch or replace it with anything else besides another one like it out of another commodore?

1991VNvacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Vacationer 1971 HQ Kingswood
You cant really patch it up, because there is a fair amount of pressure, but you could cut the affected piece out and then braise another piece in, but that would be last resort. just go to the wreakers and get another piece of brake line.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Seriously, is this even a real question?

Why would you even think of doing a dodgy repair on your brakes? It's not only unsafe for you, but every other road user out there.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
Seriously, is this even a real question?

Why would you even think of doing a dodgy repair on your brakes? It's not only unsafe for you, but every other road user out there.

^^^ As above man, even if you did it will blow under pressure - new OEM rotex brake lines will definitely do the job for the rubber obviously - but I'd be out getting the best metal OEM replacement for your vehicle I could find IFIWY ;>

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
I did a professional grade job destroying my brake lines trying to remove them once, if i recall correctly, I had two diffs, and had significant trouble undoing the 6" section of rubber hose, on one the only way it was coming out was to cut the line, but i needed the rubber one and no one would sell one minus a diff locally, so I cut the steel part of the line instead, went to my nearest wreckers, watched them (a little rough) pull the brake line off the car for me, don't think it cost me more then $20. being i was stripping and rebuilding the car anyway this wasn't an inconvenience.

I highly suggest buying a new brake line, its by far the safest option and as stated brake lines get put under an immense amount of pressure, i personally wouldn't even take the risk of brazing a section back in because of the possibility it may blow out or something..

Oh.. the big thing i've just noticed.. i think the last 3 people may have somehow missed.. if you have a rust hole in your brake line i think its pretty safe to say its f***ed and you need a new one. as i said it will be well under $50 for the long one that runs from the MC to your diff, so it's not a big cost for the piece of mind of having it done properly. not to mention even if you could patch it up sufficiently, what are the chances it ISN'T badly rusted elsewhere that may give way in a few months? personally with the pressure in a brake system (and the fact you trust your life with them..) i would NOT be taking any chances with it. the smallest leak could leave you with no brakes.. and i can think of many places i would hate for this to happen (busy street, down hill @ 100km/h, even reversing out of a car park or something..)

Go pick up another second hand brake line (in good condition) or try get an aftermarket one, whatever, just replace it, do it properly and be done with it for another what, 5 years? :p good luck mate!

just thinking too.. IMO a simliar situation would be like cutting a square section from your tire.. from the outside, through to the inside.. then patching said section with squares of rubber, and a sh*t tonne of sikaflex or something, it MIGHT work, for a while.. but its far from safe :p

EDIT: back to the rust thing.. how the hell did you get a rust hole in your line? o_O is it from the inside? did you somehow get water in your brake fluid or something? if so this could become a pretty big problem.. may be worth checking the condition of all of your brake lines while you're there.. as i said i'd hate nothing more then to spring a leak in my brake system, to stop and think i've actually blown out a seal on the MC, brake fluid went everywhere and the car had no brakes, 15 ks from home, through town down hills and crap riding gears and the handbrake to prevent going to fast and so i could actually bloody stop. my poor baby :'(