Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help with vh doors!

vh_commydore

Reaction score
i have been disasembling my vh for a few weeks now, and have come to the doors, now the pins arent that bad accept for the bottom one. but the gold clip through the middle.. the pin will not budge to come out, i have been told to "dodgy" it out with the old gas axe but thats not goin to be the case, 2 put my baby through the toment,, so any ideas, someone has to no

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I guess you mean your removing the hinge pins to pull the doors off the car.

The top pin you pull though the bottom of the hinge, and the bottom pin through the top of the hinge.

I used a slide hammer that we had made specifically for the job. The shaft of the slide hammer fits through the middle of the pin, then a round nut about 10mm long is wound onto the thread on the shaft of the slide hammer.
Then just pull out the pins.

There are other methods similar wat of attachment but you hit a bar with a hammer.

Soak the insides of the hinged with inox or similar anti seize lube before you remove the doors, try removing the rears with the doors closed, you can do the same with the front but you need the front guards off to do it.

cheers
Scott

NVS

Reaction score
Website
a-c-c.sytes.net
Members Ride
VS Berlina II
Yup, the pins can be a pain, I used a hole punch type tool, some took longer than others, and others got hit by the angle grinder.

But I think he's having trouble with the VH style check starp. VK and on just have a pin sitting in the hole, VH and earlier have a pop rivet style pin. Just chop 1 of the heads off the rivet using a metal chissel.

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
Yup, the pins can be a pain, I used a hole punch type tool, some took longer than others, and others got hit by the angle grinder.

But I think he's having trouble with the VH style check starp. VK and on just have a pin sitting in the hole, VH and earlier have a pop rivet style pin. Just chop 1 of the heads off the rivet using a metal chissel.

I have stripped over 10 VB-VK's and never come accross a pop rivet, all have vad the same pin, the pop rivet head could only be thought of as the rubber plug that seals them up.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
We've got 3 VH's and 2 VK's.....all have the pins in the doors....never heard of them having pop rivet type things.

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
I don't think NVS is refering to the hings.
I believe he's refereing to the door control strap that stops the door opening to far, and holds it open.
This strap has a pivot on the half way up piller, on both the VH's I've owned this has been a rivet, and is hard to remove. I've replace the straps on my front doors and now they have pins, same as VN, the new straps came from a VN.

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
correct name = check strap...

vh_commydore

Reaction score
thanks for the replies fellas. and yes i am talkin about the check strap. i just didnt no the name, so the chisel is the way to go?